free website stats program dead battery | Harley Davidson Forums

dead battery

Is there a way to check and see if something is draining my battery? I bought a new one last Oct. and now it dies over night. The bike charging system is working.
Thanks for any help.

Most hand held digital volt meters have an amperage capacity of at least 2 full amps (2000 ma).
Disconnect either battery lead and place your meter in series with the battery lead you removed. Turn meter on to a scale of either 200ma or 2000 ma and measure the parasitic drain of the bikes electrical system on the battery. Something below 50ma is good. You should read something other than Zero. Somewhere between 15 ma and 50 would be OK. Don't turn the ignition key to ON or else you will blow the meter fuse. If you read Zero, check your meter fuse, it may be blown. Also on some meters you must switch your leads to the amp ports on the front panel.

Your clock will have to be reset after this measurement.

my battery was also new,that is 5 mths,and died over the course of a few days.shortly after,my regulator/rectifier fried itself.I'm no expert,not by a long way,but on my experience,I'd get the regulator looked at.

Back