free website stats program Deaccel Poping Solvved | Harley Davidson Forums

Deaccel Poping Solvved

nfbmp

Deaccel Poping Solved

In August of 2007 I brought my bike, 2000 EGC, to the local HD dealer for the 7500 mile check-up and a NYS Inspection. Soon after getting the bike back deaccel popping began to occur. I rode and then put the bike up for the winter. This spring the popping was still there and occurring more frequently along with stalling coming off the line. I figured that sooner or later all HD’s get this popping and that I was getting sloppy coming off the line. Today I was cleaning the chrome cover over the front cylinder when I noticed that the sparkplug and wire were very loose. When I looked closer the sparkplug was ready to fall out of the hole. I guess the HD tech was too busy to torque the sparkplug correctly last year. I was going to complain to the dealer but I figured they would only look at me like I didn’t know what I was talking about. Next time I will try an indy. I just thought I would share this info with everyone and share my experience so that it may help someone else out there.

Last edited:
Re: Deaccel Poping Solved

.... the sparkplug and wire were very loose. ...

The sparkplug hole was effectively serving as a second exhaust port. Popping is often caused by an exhaust leak at the pipe connection.
Interesting twist on this one.
Thanks for another perspective.

Good thing you found the loose plug before the compression launched it like a bullet. I would make it a point to tell the dealer and explain why he lost you as a customer. Maybe they will give you a store credit for your problems.

Quite frankly, your horror story with a HD dealership is one of many found on this and other forums. I strongly urge folks to get the service manuals and some basic tools and do your own simple maintenance at least. The dealership are revolving doors for newbie "mechanics" that are using your pride and joy for OJT. Save the dealership for the warranty work that would be expensive to do solo, and follow up on ANYTHING they might have touched to make sure it is back on securely, in the right place, and the way it was before.

For the record, my sincere apologies to those hard working wrenches that try to always do the best for their customers. I know my comments are painting everyone with the same paint brush. Unfortunately, you folks are in the minority these days.

TQ

Last edited:

TQ brings up some very good points there. Remember that the local HD Dealer is absolutely no different than your local GM, MOPAR, or Ford dealer.
Remember that the mechanics are only human, and in many cases are relatively inexperienced, young, and are working for "flat rate" wages.
ie....they are assigned a job...change oil....that job pays 1/2 hr. If he takes longer than 1/2 hr to do this job, he still is only paid for 1/2 hr.
This is one BIG reason that so many mistakes and oversights occur.
This young mechanic, who is most likely trying to raise a family and pay his bills. He's trying to make as much money as possible and work as fast as he can in order to accomplish this.
It is in your best intrest, (no matter if it your bike or your car that has been worked on) to check what has been done to insure that nothing has been missed.

So true gs34.Spoken like only a mechanic could tell it.I owned and serviced my 96 springer for 9 years,not one trip to the dealer.Now my new ride is fuel infected,cruise control, etc,etcim,emt....geese, theres more wires going into my faring than my first car had{a 77 fairmont}.Anyone sell a speeker kit so I can s-can all my gauges and fill all the holes with speekers and tweeters?Hope snap on makes some software so I can plug my solus into this sucker...

Remember that the mechanics are only human.....he still is only paid for 1/2 hr...young mechanic, who is most likely trying to raise a family and pay his bills. He's trying to make as much money as possible and work as fast as he can in order to accomplish this.

blah Blah BLAH!

Give me a break.
If a guy can't do his job right then he should lose his job.

Before he wrecks your bike.
Or worse yet, kills someone!

Spoken like a true customer.

I just want to say that I truly appreciate the help from the local shops I frequent (dealers included). I have asked them many questions and have never been treated poorly for wanting to do some things myself. I do try to spread the wealth & buy some things at each. I think it is important to know some basics about your ride. I can't help it, from years of bicycling, I know it stinks to be stranded and have to walk back, (in my case, usually out of the woods somewhere), but with my bicycles, I carried the tools and parts to get my out of nearly any mechanical problem. There are good mechanics everywhere, but they may not be the ones who gets your bike. I'm liking the learning experience of the wrenching on things with engines :D I have gotten a lot of support from all my local guys and of course you guys here, you are making my new adventures much more fun. Thanks to all of you. :cheers:cheers
(However, if the work truck breaks down or has a flat, I call Fleetcare, I work on cable not bucket trucks :D)

Back