free website stats program Day Dream Journey | Harley Davidson Forums

Day Dream Journey

cedarbrook63

Ok guys...

For a lot of you who live in manly climates, hard weather is coming or has arrived, which means putting the bikes away. So you have the chance perhaps to dream of that ultimate bike journey which must cross every rider's mind from time to time.

Money no object, any bike you want (but try to stick to one bike for the whole journey and no back up from an accompanying 4x4 with every creature comfort), for as long a journey as you want (but try not to copy Ewan and Charlie) but bear in mind things like provisioning, breakdown, safety from crazy people etc.:

So where would it be - your Day Dream Journey??

I've always love the idea of starting off at the southern tip of Tierra del Fuego (Chile and Argentina) and riding north to the Atacama Desert along the coast of Chile. After that - who knows - the road goes north until you get to Alaska as far as I'm aware (could meet up with NHD74F for a beer in Camarillo on the way!)

Bike choice - well, I'd love to do it on a big Harley - an Ultra, but so much of the road is dirt or gravel, especially way south, from what I've seen on the net so I'd need something happier on that sort of surface but also good on the highway - maybe a BMW K1300GT, not too sure at this bit - this is where daydream would have to turn into hard core research before such a journey could be planned.

Let's hear yours ladies and gents. :D:D

I would love to do the trip my Brother in law did a few years back on his EGC.with his wife and pulling a small trailer.From here they headed to California then twisted around following the coastline,entered Mexico from Texas and folowed through El salvador to South America,toured for a month there then headed home.4months well spent. Unfortunately the turmoil in Mexico at the moment doesn't make that a wise choice.

I would love to drive as far North and South as possible on both the West and East Coasts including Canada and Mexico where possible. A bucket list item that will unfortunatley most likely be there still whern I am long gone.

I would like to ride to Alaska even tho I am spoiled by Florida weather

A wild one would be to rent a Edleweiss "like" tour on a Harley doing a loop in multi-country Euro & Mediterranean community. It would be an HDTimeline w/other major manufacturer sponsored Goodwill tour event (hey you said money and dream was no object). It would coincide with the toast of Europe...seeing the Isle of Man, Tour de France, Running of the Bulls, Monza Gran Prix, a World Cup soccer event -- you name it...! Hey, a guy can dream and ya know, I have done bits and pieces of foreign travel, but never had the opportunity to actually be at those events (was close on several occasions).

Retired Jake did that fantastic loop of our country and yes I would love to be able to do that, pack it and take off with open credit card, plenty of touring gear (Sporty would be nice ' cause I am comfortable with it)...and plenty of free time to do it. Have to admit it would be tough to do solo, cause I have a lot going on with Coline and the bouncing grandson born Halloween eve, but this is a dream and I am living it every day. Ride and live well...things are mighty fine right now!

Last edited:
I hope this does not spoil the post as my road is easily achievable but Ive one bit of road in the UK still to do
in 1982 spent 4 weeks following the coast of england and wales i started in morcambe and followed the coast all the way round till i got back to Edinburgh with a minor detour onto the isle of wight and have done the east coast of Scotland many times but have never done the bit of road from john o groats down the west coast to stranrar

wife has had a dream since the early 70s to cross the golden gate bridge on a Harley (although she has done the fourth road bridge on a sportster and a wide glide)

Brian

I hope this does not spoil the post as my road is easily achievable but Ive one bit of road in the UK still to do
in 1982 spent 4 weeks following the coast of england and wales i started in morcambe and followed the coast all the way round till i got back to Edinburgh with a minor detour onto the isle of wight and have done the east coast of Scotland many times but have never done the bit of road from john o groats down the west coast to stranrar

wife has had a dream since the early 70s to cross the golden gate bridge on a Harley (although she has done the fourth road bridge on a sportster and a wide glide)

Brian

I've only been up in the Western Highlands once Brian about 25 years ago on a walking holiday in Skye (no bikes!). We were blessed with fabulous weather, I saw a pair of Golden Eagles over Sligeachain and I think that's a trip you'll have to make :D.

Been there in the car many times did some time with highland council doing it hardware repairs mainly printers all done on site so travelled most of the roads also did that tour with my parents some time long ago
have never got that far on the bikes been as far as john o groats but went via wick

Brian

Brian, if your gal really wants to ride the Golden Gate, if you ever make it to SoCal, I would gladly make the trip up and let her "do the span"...It is an awesome tour, going up to the highlands north of the gate, as well as the Fort tour UNDER the Golden Gate as well...and then there is the John Muir Redwoods grove and Wine country in the adjoining Sonoma & Napa counties beyond...you will enjoy it. :D You can rent HD's in San Francisco at the Golden Gate HD I believe...as well as some bike tours may also be planned in advance...

Last edited:
My wife and I are planning on doing a two week guided (HD) motorcycle tour of South Africa next year. Hopefully a couple of our traveling group will go as well.

Back