free website stats program Darn!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Darn!!

Sharky1948

This afternoon my wife and I were coming back from a local bike meet and stopped at an intersection in a sleepy little town when the bike lurched forward. My initial reaction was that the clutch cable broke. Then I realized it was much more than that. The next split second I realized we had been hit by a cage. (Young guy...no drivers license with him.) No serious injuries, though they placed my wife on a backboard and took her to the ER. Given that she has a titanium shoulder and elbow from a car accident, we needed to be sure all the hardware was connected correctly! :p She's home now and just a bit achy and stiff.

The bike's rear fender is bent under and digging into the tire about 2" (though the original equipment Dunlop is still holding pressure!) We couldn't free the rear wheel without removing the fender, so I had to have it towed which was an event in and of itself.

So, it looks like I'll be confined to a cage for a few weeks. :(

And, obviously, we're happy that the metal that was bent was the bike and not something in her body!

BTW, did I mention that the day before I got up at 3am, drove several hours, lugged a couple of hundred pounds of diving gear onto a charter boat, motored several hours to get to a wreck 27 miles offshore in the Atlantic, only to have the boat have an electrical fire when we picked up the mooring. Several hours later we got a tow service out there, and then started taking on water on the way back in. I got home at 8pm. Long day for nothing!

Maybe I should take up a new hobby like knitting. I'd just end up hurting myself on a sharp needle I suppose. :bigsmiley11:

Thanks for listening to me gripe!

Wow! That's quite an eventful day. Glad to hear only minor sheetmetal damage, and no bad injuries to you or your wife. I'd be careful over the next day or so; they say things come in 3's.

Glad it wasn't anything more serious and your wife is OK too. The bike can always be repaired.

Make sure to check over the back wheel too before giving it a clean bill of health.

Glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt. Hope you get the bike up & going soon. Be careful with those knitting needles. :s You guys take care.

Glad both of you are OK. I watch my mirrors constantly when stopped at a light or intersection until someone comes to a full stop behind me to act as a buffer. Sometimes there's not a darn thing you can do though.

Glad everyone is ok. Make sure you get plenty of band aids for your fingers when you take up knitting. HAHAHA....

Glad both of you are OK. I watch my mirrors constantly when stopped at a light or intersection until someone comes to a full stop behind me to act as a buffer. Sometimes there's not a darn thing you can do though.

I typically do the same. If I recall correctly, in this case I was lax in that respect. One observer told me that the kid was just sort of creeping along, not paying attention to where he was going. Obviously if I had been vigilant I would have noticed that and high-tailed it out of there. With 20/20 hindsight, I'd have to say that it was 100% his fault and 100% avoidable by me since it was clear sailing in front of me. I'll chalk this up to a relatively inexpensive lesson.

At least no one was seriously injured and my wife is not freaked about hopping on a bike again.

One funny side note... The ambulance attendent thought my wife's socks were cool and wanted those. Two nurses in ER wanted her boots. And the admitting nurse wanted her HD t-shirt. I'm not sure if that is a compliment about her dress style or an indication of their all being vultures!:D

Thank goodness you and your wife were not seriously hurt. I extend my prayers to your full recovery.

Back