free website stats program dark oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

dark oil?

softail00

Just switched my oil to mobil1 vtwin noticed just after about 50 miles the oil is starting to get alittle dark. Is this normal for the oil to get dark so soon? I was told if it was getting dark the oil was doing its job.:52:

How many miles on the bike? I always run about 50 miles on fresh cheap dino oil before switching a car or bike to synthetic.

You can change to synthetic oil and anytime. If you want cleaner oil from the start, the "Complete Oil Change" thread Glider spoke about basically puts an adapter and hose assy were the oil filter would go, and after filling the oil tank with fresh oil, run engine til last bits of old dirty oil (about 16 ozs (2 cups or so) pumps out clean via clear drain tube into your catch container. The kit is about $130 for most bikes, cheaper on the Dynas because of their oil plumbing is easier and simplier to drain.

Just switched my oil to mobil1 vtwin noticed just after about 50 miles the oil is starting to get alittle dark. Is this normal for the oil to get dark so soon? I was told if it was getting dark the oil was doing its job.:52:

If your engine has been run all this time on dino, and you have never had it apart, synthetics do a MUCH better job of cleaning internally. May be a number of oil changes before the oil will stay "pretty" for a longer period. The other potential impact that you might see is oil wetting or seeping from mating surfaces using gaskets, seals or oil rings. Same reason. Synthetic oil has stripped the deposits out of the inside of the engine that were acting as an internal seal. Nothing to worry about. Just increase your cleaning frequency.

TQ

Back