free website stats program Dark Mobil 1 at 4,000 miles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dark Mobil 1 at 4,000 miles

I don't think syn automatically translates to less changes, the black is carbon suspended in the oil and that reduces the quality but the lubricating ability of the oil itself is still good. The oil isn't breaking down but is getting full of contaminates. I go some by smell and some by color, but generally change between 4k and 5k on mobile 1.

Modern oil packages have better additives to keep from breaking down and better detergents for keeping the spent gases and internal wear from causing damage, JMO, but when switching from dino oil to synthetic you may see the oil darken quickly, it is cleaning house IMO and if it gives you peace of mind, shorten your oil change interval for the next 2 changes to see if it makes a difference:s

Engine oil will darken fairly rapidly, due to the presence of combustion by-products. Remember, one of the things being lubricated is the cylinder walls. This is how the oil gets exposed to those darkening combustion by-products. For the most part the effect is similar to a dye, and is not indicative of lubrication properties. There should be no problem, as long as you do not exceed recommended service intervals. Whether you choose the oil mfg interval or the vehicle interval (they are rarely the same).

Enjoy,
Rich P

I have the scavenger system installed and do feel good about how much clearer and purer my oil is at change intervals, but, even with that I notice that the color becomes quite dark at just 3,000 miles and now at 4,000 I feel that I cannot let it go any further.
SE Road King
'02FLHRSEI

My opinion is in agreement with the above posts. Rest assured that by using the high quality oil that you are using, quite simply its just doing its job and not to worry...:s
You are using HD OE oil filters????

On any oil you want it to carry and hold in suspension the crud/dirt that is in the engine.
The oil filter will do its job and filter the oil. If you had oil that stayed "clean" for a long time, that would mean the crud/dirt is settling somewhere inside your engine. Bad.
You should have no problems running Mobil 1 20W50 syn 4000 miles.
wilks3
:USA

Back