free website stats program Dark Custom: Street Bob the best choice?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Dark Custom: Street Bob the best choice??

ugocon

The question is: which is the best Dark Custom HD in terms of performance/price ratio?

So far the answer for me is: Street Bob.

I think I've studied enough the characteristics of the HD's to make a reasoned comparison.

Let's consider the Sportsters.
I owned a XL1200R so I know how it handles.
The engine is "rough", not so elastic, the torque is not at very low RPM's and acceleration is not so enjoyable
Vibrations are farly good: you can feel them but they don't disturb you.
The handling is good and the braking too (at least for the XL1200R with two discs in the front wheel).
Talking about style, the Nightster is gorgeous, I agree. So is the new 883 Iron, I like it!

The price is 8,300 euros for the 883 and 10,300 euros for the Nightster.

But the Sportster is.... S M A L L !!!!! :reyes

Now let's consider the Softail.
Two models: Night Train and Cross Bones.

I love the Cross Bones, the only affordable Springer around (the other one is a CVO: more than 30.000 euros!!!).
Ape hanger handlebar, old fashioned seat, "thick" tires... but 19.500 euro worth! :small3d023:

The Night Train is a nice bike, but I don't feel particular emotions if I think that the price is 18.500 euros and there's nothing more, in my opinion that can be provided by a Street Bob at 14.000 euros!

Summing up, the differences between Night Train and Street Bob are:
Seat: Twin vs. solo
Suspensions: not visible vs. visible
Handlebar: normal vs. Ape Hanger
Front wheel: "chopper" like (thinner) vs. thick and sturdy
Engine: rigid mounted vs. rubber mounted

Regarding the engine, let's not forget that the Dyna is more powerful and with greater torque than Softail... and the Dyna is lighter in weight than the Night Train: better overall performances!

In addition to all that, for the Dyna the 09 rear fender is a masterpiece and the riding position is too classic: a winner!

So.... why spend 4.000 euros more for a Night Train??

I can always add an additional seat and footpegs for less than 4000 euros, if I like...:s

I mean... why the Night Train is kept in the price list when, in my opinion, it doesn't add anything valuable to the Dyna??

I'd like to know your opinions :)

Ciao
Ugo

P.S. I didn't talk about the Night Rod because in my opinion it's a completely different kind of bike, even though it's part of the Dark Custom family....

Having a Street Bob I am a bit biased, but I do like the night train. Chose the Bob due to price as you pointed out and sitting style, not a fan of the drag bars myself. With that said, I just like the looks of the Softail, is price was not an issue, I would have gone for the Nighttrain and just changed out the bars. Really it is a matter of preference, Softtail v. Dyna. Ride what you like as those have said.

Now for me, I'm sticking with my Bob, just love it and hope to keep it for a while.

Having had an '07 FLSTSC I was tempted by the Cross Bones when I first saw pictures. In real life it was not what I wanted.

I have always lusted over a Night Train as I love the black motors. Hence owning the above, an FXDX, and now a Street Bob (and a few others). For me last time I went shopping the price difference between the Bob and the Train (starting to sound like a Dylan song) was too much of a factor. Especially when I enjoy the way Dynas ride.

The worst thing, IMO, about the new Bobs is the grey primary case. BLACK ROCKS!

Well, regarding the gray color of the engine, I honestly have to say that I like it, and I like it even more day after day!

I like the difference between the colors of the tank and the engine: if I had to buy a '08 model, I'd have bought in Pewter Denim color so to get the contrast with the black engine.

But as usual, it's a matter of personal taste... :)

Anyway, I still don't understand why there's a difference of more than 4.000 euros (or dollars more or less) between the Street Bob and the Night Train.
Must be only due to the fame of the Softail but not related to technical/performance actual benefits.

This somehow upsets me, because I find this difference a little too big... :s

Ciao
Ugo

I'm with you. Really hated the gray on the primary...But saw it in person at the dealership last weekend and I must say I like it. Looking at my 06 and the 09, I like them both, just in different ways. On my bike with the black cherry, I doubt the gray would look right, but in the dealership on the 09 with black paint, it made a nice contrast. Then of course seeing what Hobbit has done to his, I am envious, that is a true dark bob.

I Have the 07 Street bob and i love it ...

If i had to buy a 09 model i would still go with the Bob but would have to get that motor powder coated in Wrinkle black

Thanks for the input. I have a 2009 Nightster but looking at a 4400 mile trip in June. With the new Harley 100% trade-in offer I may upgrade to a Street Bob to get the heavier bike with a longer wheelbase and a bigger engine. Sounds like you make the case for the Street Bob over the Nightster.

Back