free website stats program Dad's authentic 36 Ford stockcar | Harley Davidson Forums

Dad's authentic 36 Ford stockcar

Sunnysideup

A few years ago dad @ 77 gave up his racing career that has spanned almost 60 years. He's raced dirt track midgets, micros, stock cars, go karts, and even pylon RC aircraft. He was also personal friends with Marshall Teague of Daytona in his college years as grandad owned cars that ran at Daytona in the beach course years. The picture shows him in front of his 1936 Ford 5 window coupe with a flathead motor and three carbs. So fun to drive!!!

Attachments

• Dad@ 77 years old still racing.jpg
    Dad@ 77 years old still racing.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 52
It's got the old flathead 3 spd trans but there's a hook on the dash to loop the shifter into so it doesn't jump out of second gear.

What really retired him is we could not talk him into upgrading to power steering. With the wide tires and manuel steering, tough on an older guy. After the race he'd have huge blisters on his hands.

wow impressive, good for him he needs to be congratulated on what he has done...my hat is off to your dad

Great story! Kudos to him to stick with racing for that long. I love those old cars and I love local track type of racing. Unfortunately the powers that be decided that the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds Speedway needed to be torn down and bulldozed a few years ago . I miss it a lot. The 1/2 mile was known as one of the fastest 1/2 mile tracks in the southwest.

I'll bet at some point he's raced at Dixie Speedway in Woodstock. I can stand on my front porch and hear the cars on a Saturday night!

:s That is sooooo cool, those old Flatheads were king of the speedway for many years, and easy to work on:s

That is way cool. I used to go to Myers Speedway here in Houston every Saturday night. I have no clue how many years it was there. Then they built some apartments near by and the noise police shut them down and it was bull dozed.

Sad and once it was gone and on Saturday night you could hear gun shots. Guess where they were coming from. Progress my hind end.

:s That is sooooo cool, those old Flatheads were king of the speedway for many years, and easy to work on:s

I love the old Flathead Ford motor. In my opinion with a set of aluminum heads and with a dual or triple carb set up one of the most beautiful motors ever made. Incredibly simple in design and rugged.

Since some have enjoyed my dad's stock car, I'll dig up a few pics of my grandfathers stock cars. Believe I have one of my grandfather standing in front of his 39 Plymouth coupe packed with a Hemi.

My grandfather on the left, uncle on the right, and the company logo on the door. If you will notice on the hood part of the word "Casper" appears. Back in the Grand National days the cars where sometimes given cartoon character names. This car actually ran at the old Daytona Beach course. It's a 1939 Plymouth with a hemi head Chrysler motor. This car came after the the 40 Ford Flathead became uncompetitive.

see if it works properly this time.

Attachments

• 1939 Plymouth.jpg
    1939 Plymouth.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 13
Back