free website stats program Cylinder shut off | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cylinder shut off

I think some people are under the impression that you can just turn off the rear cylinder by rolling the throttle forward. Rolling the throttle forward only turns on/off the function of automatic (via temperature sensor) rear cylinder cut out.

I haven't turned mine on yet but that's one reason I bought an 09. I'll try it when it gets hot. I have lowers on my RK so it tends to run a little hot (on the right leg) now. But it's still cold (60 in So Cal is darn cold brrrrrr).

I haven't used this feature yet, but it is a nice addition. I had burns inside both thighs from the heat coming off my '03 Road King. I got caught in 4th of July stop and go traffic for 12 miles in Redding, Calif in 110 degree heat. I thought I might loose the engine, and went down the shoulder to an off ramp to let the bike cool, and get more water.
So, if I can coax the new FLHX to run cooler under circumstances like that, I'm all for it. :small3d026:

I leave mine shut off !! I am in Las Vegas & I come here every winter . The lights are long in Vegas so you should avoid the areas where the lights are the longest (ie. the strip ) I do not think the rear cylinder shut off is a issue unless you are in a extream heat condition , like a traffic jam or a parade . What I realiized is that the the rear cylinder will shut off but it is still functioning so it will still produce friction heat but will not produce combustion heat & that is only a short time fix , remember most of the time your bike is already @ or above normal operating temps . The only way to reduce the heat on your left leg is to get a true duel exhaust system . I think it is a nice feature which may help the engine in certian conditions but most of the time it is not needed . IMO

ok dumb question about this if im sitting at a stop light, stop sing, in my drive whare ever i may be idoling. if i roll forword on my throtle it will shut down the cylender, wethor or not its turned off or on??:small3d031:

ok dumb question about this if im sitting at a stop light, stop sing, in my drive whare ever i may be idoling. if i roll forword on my throtle it will shut down the cylender, wethor or not its turned off or on??:small3d031:

Nope - rolling the throttle forward only arms/disarms the system. When it's armed, you still have to meet certain criteria for the system to shut down the rear cylinder.

Back