free website stats program cylinder noise at start up | Harley Davidson Forums

cylinder noise at start up

hargun2

Should I or shouldn't I, got what sounds like a sloppy front piston on start up and once it warms up it goes away. I have noticed when I accelerate I get alittle rattle and when I get to speed or throttle back the noise goes away. I'm supposed to leave for Sturgis Friday from Utah about 650 miles. I have another set of jugs and pistons with rings that where removed for a 95 upgrade with about 1500 miles on them. What do you you guys think???? go or R2???

Sounds like it could be piston slap. My old RK developed it @ around 5800 miles. If you do go with the other jugs and pistons do not use the old rings. Hone the jugs and get new rings.

don't think the using the rings would be a good idea.

Once apart, it is always best to Hone and install New rings, like Red-fish Joe recommended..

The time and effort to tear down the motor and put back together with OLD parts is not worth doing... Do the job right the first time.. Also you should re-do the heads while down, Lot of miles means wear on them..

You will be glad to have done the ALL and have many added miles to the life of the motor..

I wouldn't be afraid of running the motor with the piston slap Then take time do a Good Full repair when back home.

signed....BUBBIE

Not saying Not to use the used parts, just saying to RE-Ring and hone them..

My pistons started slapping around that time and I did a complete top end job at 94k. All the teflon lining on the pistons was worn off. I Put in the 95" pistons and cyls and 211 cams, oil pump upgrade and heads. Now it runs goooood.

Thanks guys, I will let you know how the trip went....if your going to Sturgis have fun and be safe......

Back