free website stats program Cylinder Head Assembly ? & Gasket ID | Harley Davidson Forums

Cylinder Head Assembly ? & Gasket ID

So I have my rockers/heads off and my base gasket broke lose a bit on the jugs upon head removal. Should I replace it?

This obv means I will have to do the complete other side I am guessing. I have read quite a few post. Very very low milage on the 1250 conversion.

Can I remove valves and compression springs to re-coat heads with out having to replace/adjust seats/seals/guides on the heads? Just keep everything in order/labeled?

Having trouble finding this gasket. 16770-84T Think it is 3.5" .60 Blue
87 1100 heads 16682-87
1ca046e3.jpg

78704d76.jpg

After reading all of these I think I could do it. After reading the manual twice I am more confused than ever tho. Can not afford more parts or a mistake at this point. Was about to rewire and ride :(

Absolutely... You may negatively effect compression in cylinder.

Supply more info as to why you are undertaking repair and you will get expert advice..:s

Absolutely... You may negatively effect compression in cylinder.

Re: Base gasket. Gotcha.

I was just attempting to identify the uppers so I could order correct parts (manifold...) and figure out what I have here. With secondary purpose of powder coating the Rockers/Heads and possibly the jugs.

No problem replacing seals/gaskets. The springs,valves, piston rings etc. have me skeer'd.

As the base gasket is a weak point on these engines i would replace it as to stripping the valves out and refitting i have done that in the past and got away with it
if you have the valves out anyway a wee bit of time cleaning carbon off the back side of them can assist air flow but leave the carbon on the stems as it is there due to wear in the valve guides and helps compensate for that wear and it is always wise to re grind the valve seats
However new valves and guides would be ideal but if you are on a tight budget then you have to do what you can

Brian

Did I just turn this into a basket?!

After top end gasket kit I maybe have $50 bucks to spend.

When I remove the jugs for base gaskets will I have to replace any other parts?
I have a piston ring compressor.

Nah just take care with the pistons and rings that they do not suffer any damage and they can be reused
Having had to replace base gaskets on more than 1 occasion they are a wee bit of a pest to get off so allow lots of time
as soon as you pull the barrels of stuff lint free rags in the top of the crankcase to stop any debris from falling in there

Brian

If you take the valves out of the heads I would hand lap them before reassembly, Make sure you follow the head gasket and rocker arm torque, Replace both head and base gaskets at the same time:s

If you take the valves out of the heads I would hand lap them before reassembly, Make sure you follow the head gasket and rocker arm torque, Replace both head and base gaskets at the same time:s

I am planning on it atm. Lapping compound and tool searching now. I ve been off adhd meds for years this build is really making life hard. Took me 5 hours to order the spring compressor.

16770-84T replacement?

Back