Cylinder base timing hole cover

Discussion in 'FXR Models' started by footballhi, May 9, 2010.

1. footballhi

footballhi New Member

Hi all ,this is my first post here, seems like some of ya'll know your stuff,So lets get started...i have a 1992 fxrp and im putting all the chrome I can find chrome on it ,ok i bought a chrome cover. It is for 1984-1999 80” Evolution Big Twin w/ forward controls or floorboards.
    it goes over the bolt at the bottom of the jugs in between the two. that is the bolt that holds it in place . part # Kuryakyn #8140
    ok it came with a new chrome long bolt and acorn nut. WHAT if anything will happen when i pull out the old bolt ,it goes all the way through the crankcase. unsure what it is for.HELP ME UNDERSTAND.:newsmile04:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  2. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

I think your safe removing long bolt there are other bolts that hold cases together & jug bolts but check torque of new bolt in manual..

3. footballhi

footballhi New Member

thanks ULTRA ,Do you know if there is anything on the bolt inside ,Or dose it just go through to hold the case together.?? I will be sure to tighten to correct spec.

4. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

I think it just goes through the 2 case halves....

5. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

What you are talking about I think is #64 in the schematic below. You do not need to pull the stud out to replace the nuts with the acorns you got. In fact, I wouldn't do that just for cosmetics. I would just remove what is there and then put on the chrome. If you only got one acorn, and it is a different thread than the stud, run over to the HD Dealership or Sears Hardware and buy a couple of acorns and some chrome washers. Should be fine.

CRANKCASE - 1992 Harley Davidson FXR

TQ

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  6. footballhi

footballhi New Member

thanks tquentin1--mine is a BOLT,with one nut. but thanks for the break-down.

tquentin1 SORRY YOU ARE CORRECT,it is a nut on both sides . THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP tquentin1 thanks to all have a good day...!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010