free website stats program CV running rich | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

CV running rich

When you rebuilt the carb, what jets did you use? Have you done a Stage 1 or just the exhaust?

Cheers,

TQ

If your bike runs good, pulls good, does not stumble i would be looking at compression test next, I would think oil is getting past the rings or valve seals, not to say the float level or needle valve is not correct, but if you left the petcock on over night you should see gas coming out the vent tube if the float bowl was too full and needle not doing its job JMO

I have a stock 91 Electraglide. While on a 2000 mile ride and noticed soot on my exhaust pipes. It has a BUB exhaust.( it is not a true dual). While I was on the road I replaced the air filter thinking that might be the culprit. I rebuilt the carb not that long ago. 4000 miles. When I accelerate hard black smoke comes out the pipes. ( mostly the right pipe).
The plugs look good. Light tan to gray. I pulled the carb apart and replaced the float needle. The rubber came off of the rebuild needle very easily. I thought maybe the float was hanging up. The float adjustment is correct. While I had it apart I cleaned and blew out everything. It's still blowing black smoke. The plugs aren't that old. Maybe 8000 miles. I don't know what could be causing the soot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I always use Sea Foam. Thanx. Bus Driver.
I also think that your problem is the enrichener. If it does not fully seat you will just be dumping more gas than the motor can handle. I would think that your exhaust would have a very gassy smell. A small piece of debrix is all it takes to hold that circuit open.

If the problem is the enrichener, the OPs MPG should be way down and plugs should show evidence of too much fuel. Additionally, if the problem is the enrichener, the cylinder walls are being washed down with fuel which will lead to other problems.;)

Hey guys, I hate to tell you this, but I think I made a bone head mistake. It's not really a mistake, just something very simple I forgot to do. When my buddy gave me the complete BUB exhaust, I never rejetted the carb. I have been banging my head on the walls trying it figure why it's running rich,and I overlooked the obvious. I'm so sorry I had you guys go to all of that trouble trying to troubleshoot it, when it was just a stupid mistake that you would have assumed I had done. This is not my first rodeo, I've been riding for 50 years, but I made a rookie mistake. I completely forgot that it was never rejetted. Again thanx for all of your advice. I listened to all of it. I'm just glad I woke up. Thanx again. Bus Driver.

I just saw that I had 5 replies that I didn't see. If I had seen the one about the jets I would have realized a little earlier. To answer your question, I only did the exhaust. I'm hoping that the answer is in the Jets. I when from a stock exhaust to the BUB exhaust with out rejetting. Thanx again guys. Bus Driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I hate to tell you this, but I think I made a bone head mistake. It's not really a mistake, just something very simple I forgot to do. When my buddy gave me the complete BUB exhaust, I never rejetted the carb. I have been banging my head on the walls trying it figure why it's running rich,and I overlooked the obvious. I'm so sorry I had you guys go to all of that trouble trying to troubleshoot it, when it was just a stupid mistake that you would have assumed I had done. This is not my first rodeo, I've been riding for 50 years, but I made a rookie mistake. I completely forgot that it was never rejetted. Again thanx for all of your advice. I listened to all of it. I'm just glad I woke up. Thanx again. Bus Driver.

I just saw that I had 5 replies that I didn't see. If I had seen the one about the jets I would have realized a little earlier. To answer your question, I only did the exhaust. I'm hoping that the answer is in the Jets. I when from a stock exhaust to the BUB exhaust with out rejetting. Thanx again guys. Bus Driver.

If the A/C is stock, changing to a hi-flow exhaust might not have any effect but certainly wouldn't require more fuel. If the A/C is hi-flow, the mix will definitely lean out requiring that you add fuel. The motor is already running rich, adding more fuel will only make things worse. I am still curious if your MPG has changed from before the carb rebuild to now.

Dolt has you covered here. Additions like exhaust and AC will lean out an already lean condition from the factory. The MPG will tell us how the motor is using fuel.

It has a stock air cleaner, which I recently replaced. To answer your question, my mileage really hasn't changed that much. I guess I average about 42 to 45 depending on conditions. I know the CV's are pretty bulletproof. I really didn't notice the rich condition until I did that 2000 trip. I guess when I do around town riding I wash it more often. That's why I didn't notice the soot. One thing I'm curious about is why does the right pipe get dirtier that the left pipe? It is not a true duel, it has a cross over pipe. Thanx. Bus Driver.

With the crossover pipe most of the exhaust goes through the right pipe. Your mileage looks good, so if your compression is where it should be we'll have to look at the other places that the extra gas is getting through the carb.

Back