free website stats program Cv or Mikuni? / Plus a strange issue... | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cv or Mikuni? / Plus a strange issue...

Bubbie,

Thanks for all the information:

The compression numbers sounded OK to me, from a previous bike and what I've read , I have zero oil usage-(can't measure it). I don't build motors obviously so I'm just going by what I've read.

I'm not sure what cam is in there, the PO said it was a Crane and he had it put in many years ago. The motor just developed a pretty good tap in the front, kind of all of a sudden. I've heard that EVOs pre-96 could stand having their lifters changed around 30K and mine has 31 so I'm going to do that and while inthere-(bearing too), I'll take a look at the cam and possibly put another one in. Considering the Andrews EV-27 but I'm open to suggestions. Doing this will eliminate the lifter issue and take the cam out of the rear cylinder issue.

Reversion is an interesting idea and may just be it. The Bike came with drag pipes & baffles, loud as heck and I had the rear cylinder popping which I thought was due to the pipes. I installed cycle shacks and still have the rear cylinder isssue. I always thought that was that, since i changed the pipes I had eliminated them as a possible cause. Thinking about it, If I had something with real muflers and a crossover, I might be better off. I'm going to look into the cones and exhaust options. I do have the original exhaust and could put that on just to try it...

Thanks
Doug

Hello Doug
I had an issue as you describe awhile back and found that if you remove the ac cover and filter, fire it up and watch it at idle mine was pulling fuel up through the needle jet and when I would pinch off the fuel line untill it pulled the fuel level down in the float bowl it would quit slobering and smooth out. So i dropped the bowl and set my float to the upper limit which was 0.453. The book calls for 0.413 to 0.453. After doing this problem solved. Easy enough to try by looking down the throat of the carb and cost nothing.

Back