free website stats program Cv carb question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cv carb question

low speed jet is a 45, main jet is a 180. i have replaced the diaphram and have checked for intake leaks, havent found a thing. I have done a lot of research on the 883's with 1200 kits and have not found 1 that has the same jetting as mine. i was actually thinking the low speed jet was ok since the idle quality is so good, but like i said before i am no expert. I am still unclear on the needle adjustment too.

Idle is governed more by the idle mixture screw than the low jet. I would go to a #46 low , readjust the idle mixture screw to the highest and steadiest idle and shim the needle up with 2-#4 washers.

CVThrottlepositions2.jpg

I appreciate the help very much. I am going to order some new jets and get 2 #4 washers and try that while i wait for the new jets to get here. Should i use brass washers, stainless or what?
Once again i appreciate the help very much..

I'd go with brass washers. Glider has helped me thru some jetting issues and reall yknows his stuff. :) Also, since you've brought the bike down some altitude... If the bike was jetted at a higher altitude than you're running they've likely drilled the slide. If your slide ahs been drilled you might want to replace it with a slide that hasn't. Also, if you're running a dynajet 180... ditch it, i tried to tune a DJ main jet and it was near impossible. I'd suggest getting a 180-185 main, a new emulsion tube, and checking the slide for drill holes.
What you're describing sounds like a lean main jet condition to me. I could be wrong though.

Almost forgot to add.... My bike was running a lot like what you're describing. I changed jets and moved clips until i thought i got it right over and over again. Finally i got a new slide that wasn't drilled and it ran 100% better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the help very much. I am going to order some new jets and get 2 #4 washers and try that while i wait for the new jets to get here. Should i use brass washers, stainless or what?
Once again i appreciate the help very much..

Yes as mentioned above the brass will be fine. Also as mentioned above, if the slide was drilled it can give you some erratic symptoms too.

i added the 2 #4 washers and then checked the slide and a 1/8" bit will not even come close to fitting in the hole (not the hole for the needle) so i assume it has not been drilled. The 2 washers made a huge difference, idle is much smoother although it seems throttle response is not near as "Crisp". For sure an overall big improvement in run quality, especially at idle. Waiting on the new jets to get here now. I did go for a short ride last night,maybe 20 miles and it never missed a beat, no surge, stumble or anything. This weekend will be a better test when i get a chance to put a few miles on it during daylight hours. The bugs were so bad right at dark last night i thought i was going to run off the road from trying to dodge them in the headlight beam! Living out in the countr has it's perks,bugs are just not one of them.

Thanks to Glider and everyone else for their help and suggestions. i will let you know how it runs with the new jets and a couple hundred miles on it this weekend.

If you feel the crispness is very noticable, drop one of the washers off the needle.

Did you remove the plug for the idle mixture and adjust it?

Could just be me but seems like it is not as responsive. And yes I did remove the plug and ended up at 2 1/2 turns out on the idle mixture.
Figured i would wait until i get the new jets in before i really start fine tuning it.

Well now i am really confused. Got the new jets friday,,46 & 185. Removed 1 washer. Now I have 1 #4 brass washer under the needle and a 46 pilot and a 185 main jet. If I screw the mixture screw all the way in, it makes little to no difference in idle. About 2 turns out seem to be as smooth as i could make it, but theres not much difference. throtttle response still just not feel as "crisp" as it used too.

Rode about 200 miles today and I could make it stumble in 4th and 5th gear, but not every time. I think it is better as I can now cruise at 60-70 and no stumble until i twist hard on the throttle. About 1 out of every 10 times i twisted, it would stumble. Go back to normal cruise for a sec then twist it again and it would take off. Did this several times in 4th and 5th gear. Couldnt make it stumble everytime. THEN,, I get about a mile from the house and cruising along it 4th gear about 55mph and it started to stumble hard. Hit it a couple times and wouldnt go,stumbled like crazy.Backed off to normal cruise and hit it again and it took off.
I also noticed a few times when i stopped for a red light that when i first rolled to a stop it was idling kinda high but the longer i sat there the slower it idled till it got done to normal.Has never done that before. Dont think my idle is right, before it never had any trouble at idle.Seems like when i first crank it it idles perfect, then when it gets good and warmed up the idle is higher. The high idle is kinda strange. Thinking about removing the other washer and see what that does. Temp has been in the upper 90's here in east texas and i also noticed that my oil temp was running right at 200 today.

Appreciate ya'lls input.!

Last edited:
If your idle speed is higher than it should be, you will not get the adjustment out of the idle mixture screw that you should get. You should be able to stall the engine at a normal idle by turning in the idle mixture screw. If it doesn't stall the engine, either the low jet is too big or the idle mixture screw may have the point damaged from being closed too hard.

Back