free website stats program CV carb overflow issue | Harley Davidson Forums

CV carb overflow issue

Brutal FXDX

Hey all, Got a carb that will NOT quit leaking out the overflow. Its a 1990 FLHTC with stock CV with 50k miles. Heres what ive done so far.
-Replaced Fuel valve and float
-Double, triple checked float height adj-even set it a lil high.
-Used a pencil eraser to "reseat" the valve seat (4 times)
-Checked for pinhole in overflow tube inside float assy
-This bike does not have a Vapor valve in the fuel tank vent and the Fuel cap is vented properly.

Im lost here. Has anyone had a valve seat that was so badly worn out that you had to replace the carb? The seat itself is not replaceable, correct??

The only thing left to check is the float does it still float if it does not then the valve wont get closed
usually it is dirt in the valve seat or the rubber tip has hardened or developed a groove

Brian

I've seen this a few times and it seems to be from the fuel hose deteriorating from the inside and depositing rubber silt in the carb.

Totaly disassemble the carb, using carb cleaner (spray can) clean out all passages and blow out with compressed air. Make sure its hospital clean.

Problem solved.

Have you removed and cleaned out the needle and seat area? Do the tank too.

Yes Glider ive Removed the float and needle. replaced both float and needle as well as cleaned seat with pencil eraser and again with lintless cloth. Have not Removed the petcock in the tank. You think debris in the tank could be flowing through when i turn on the gas and keeping it from sealing? Ive had the float off bout 10 times, no debris or particles in fuel or in the bottom of bowl. I know it only takes a very small piece of trash to give u a prob.

Not to say it can not happen, but beware of inferior carb parts with the alcohol gas now days the viton seals have to work harder than ever and if in doubt I would replace the float and needle and seat JMO

Yes Glider ive Removed the float and needle. replaced both float and needle as well as cleaned seat with pencil eraser and again with lintless cloth. Have not Removed the petcock in the tank. You think debris in the tank could be flowing through when i turn on the gas and keeping it from sealing? Ive had the float off bout 10 times, no debris or particles in fuel or in the bottom of bowl. I know it only takes a very small piece of trash to give u a prob.

When I open up a carb like you are doing here that overflows, I usually run some gas from the tank through the seat after the needle is removed and catch the fuel in a glass jar just to verify if there are any particulate in the fuel. It may make your life easier if you find debris in the tank.

Not to say it can not happen, but beware of inferior carb parts with the alcohol gas now days the viton seals have to work harder than ever and if in doubt I would replace the float and needle and seat JMO

Ive replaced everything but the seat itself. I did not think it was removeable, Is it?

Back