free website stats program Cutting out when hot | Harley Davidson Forums

Cutting out when hot

tjohn005

I have a 02 RKC Stage 1, K&N filter, Thunderheader slip-on's, Was riding home last week from seeing my dad in the hospital and stopped to eat with the wife and when we left I noticed it cutting out, but then at higher RPM'S it quit, Then we stopped at a store and it would not start, it would turn over but not start. Called Nephew and we pulled the plug wire to see if it was firing we got a spark (seemed weak to me) put wire back on and it started and no more trouble going home. But now sitting in the garage once warmed up it coughs and spits and stutters. It has not given any CODES
Was wondering if it could be a coil problem or Engine temp sensor problem.

I pulling what hair I have out on this problem
any help is appreciated

If you pull the air filter and shoot a little gas or starting fluid into the throttle body, will it start and run briefly? If so, it's probably the ETS - Engine Temp Sensor. If you have access to a Scanalyzer it would show the ETS reading way high. I saw one last week reading a constant 268 degrees and same symptoms. Replaced sensor and problem solved.

Hope this helps,
Jammr

You might check the cam sensor. Found that to be my problem.

The 02 may not of had or it had Both the Cam and the Crank sensor.... My 2000 had gone thru a few of them(both)....

Recently posted problems are close-by in the last couple of weeks on the Same old problem... Lot of good answers in the old threads if you look..

The crank sensor is my guess... Don't throw parts at it , please check under self-help area and you will read on the parts and How to Check them...

Upper right of page, "search forum" box, put in the magic words and you will receive Lots of information...
Gliders papers on "cam sensor" "crank sensor" good to read.

signed....BUBBIE

if its fuel injected check for hole in the fuel line in tank also as said check the temp sensor

Put in a new Engine Temp Sensor and it runs like a champ, put over 100 miles on it and it did'nt miss one bit, actually seems to run better than before the sensor went bad

Thanks for all the suggestions

Back