cutting out cats

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 67wizard, Jul 17, 2015.

1. 67wizard

67wizard Junior Member

I know this is old but. I have a friend that want to know is it worth the money to buy a header (Fullsac or V&H) or just drill or cut out the cat in his headpipe 2014 year bike. I would but a different one but thats just me. I will show hime the answers u guys give.
    Thanks

2. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

Of course it would be better to purchase a Fullsac X pipe or the V&H Power Duals but if $$ is an issue, gutting the cat for a stock or Stage I motor is fine. However, drilling the cat out is not the correct way to go at it; he won't get all the material out and some of what remains could be pulled back into the cylinder on a reversion pulse.

Much better to take it to a muffler shop that can cut the cat chamber open and remove all the cat and weld it back up.

3. hammerhead pat

hammerhead pat Active Member

If you/friend are anywhere near mechanically inclined, cut it out and clean it out yourself. I've never welded before, so I paid a guy at Midas $25 to weld it back together [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. danthern

danthern Active Member

De-catted OEM pipes are readily available online (Ebay, etc). I bought a set for my RK for 125.

5. C908

C908 Member

I also cut the cat out of my stock head pipe and paid someone to weld the plate back on. My local Harley dealer sold me a brand new take off head pipe with the chrome shields for $75.00. I'm keeping it just in case they ever get tough doing inspections.

6. 67wizard

67wizard Junior Member

Thanks guys I think I have him going to the muffler shop and getting it cut out and welded back. Yes money is a big issue for him. Only changes are going to be slipons and and sstage 1 ac.

7. MarkS

MarkS Member

I took out my baffles and insulation on my 2015 SG. I'm considering removing my CAT as well. It should be ok that way with a high flow intake and fuel pack, right??

8. danthern

danthern Active Member

There's that whole backpressure issue to consider

9. Dan.1977P

Dan.1977P Active Member

If remove the cat and put the baffles back in or get some good slipons to give you the sound you wanted by removing the baffles.
    [​IMG]

10. Mongo1958

Mongo1958 Junior Member

I have a set of Jack Pot X pipes, They are yours if you want them ($250)[​IMG]