Cutting out at highway speed

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Denz1023, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Denz1023

Denz1023 Member

This weekend I rode about 135 miles everything was great until I started to get on they main HWY at first my bike seemed to lug down a bit so I down shifted to get up to speed. As I was riding about 70 to 75 it started to act like i had bad gas and cut out, never back fired. Then when I came to a stop it idled a little ruff and started a grinding noise but sounded like plastic not metal to metal. Got home found the left exhaust slip-on loose. Test rode the bike several times since and have not had this problem again. I can't believe that a loose exhaust would cause this problem on a 2000 EFI ultra classic which has no O2 sencors .

2. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

You might check to see IF it threw any CODES..

signed....BUBBIE

3. Denz1023

Denz1023 Member

I have a TFI tuner and I checked all connections and everything seems fine. I have been told by some friends it could be a clucth.

4. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

It sounds more like a lack of fuel and Maybe a bad fuel pump. I'm NOT saying to toss parts at it Just to check..

ANY Codes stored? no answer from you.

I doubt the loose exhaust slip-on had anything to do with the problems here. Betting on a fuel pump or Line in the tank, may have rubbed a hole in it. Plugged gas filter? Or the pump going out/ that goes along with the noise.

Another problem is the wiring at the Older style injectors/carb at the front of the venture area... They DO have a tendency of breaking inside the insulation and can cause this problem..(heard this many times from Chopper, Jack k and Hoople) Take off the air cleaner and wiggle the wires while running and see IF you can make it quit or Miss.

I have ONLY read and Heard about this problem on the HDT forum but am passing it on to you. I am a CARB guy myself and NO little about the injector thing. But I do know you made a good choice using the TFI..:newsmile01:

signed....BUBBIE

5. sharpscuba

sharpscuba Banned

I agree with Bubbie it sure sounds like a fuel related problem..check the codes to start.

6. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

The exhaust clamp may have been rubbing the belt.

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

00-03 HD Codes And Activation - Harley Davidson Community here is a link to check for codes, as usual Bubbie has you headed in the right direction

8. Denz1023

Denz1023 Member

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will be checking the wiring issue god knows I have had some of those. The grinding nosie I heard was a heat sheild ratteling.

9. bobwire

bobwire Active Member

had a problem like yours, loose slipon. exhust slipped way back, sucked air and ran rough. put new exhust bkt. cleaned front plug, all good again.........bw........ps have pc3

10. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Glad it was the heat shield for the noise... NOW,It is sounding LESSER$$ in the problem area..
    A tried remedy now would Put Fresh Gas into the tank AFTER putting in a little Sea-foam to help clean things out..

This is suggested by MANY of the Good problem shooters here and IT is EASY to do... Nothing Lost by trying.. a little Sea-foam will spruce up any bike,,,
    gas-thru-out-exhaust... Good Stuff..

How many miles on your 2000.? and how long have You had it?

My 2000 fxds hot rod had over 117,000 miles on it when I traded off for My 09 FLHR in Aug of 09..
    Yes, the 2010's were JUST out then but glad of the good deal given and the NO cats.

signed....BUBBIE