free website stats program cutting down a winshield | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cutting down a winshield

Another plus for the glass shop. If my sometimes faulty memory serves, it was $15 last time and very professional. Need to do it to the Ultra again. For a few bucks, I'd rather let the pros tackle it. JMH0

I own a glass shop and I'd cut it down with a plexiglass cutter. Yes, it will cut lexan if you know how, but its not easy. A jigsaw works too, with the proper blade, but you run the risk of scratching the shield, or chipping the edges. You want to keep the blade cool with some antifreeze, which will also lubricate the blade, or else you can get some heat fractures. After it's cut I'd grind and polish the edge the same way we polish the edges on glass. Good luck.

thanks for all the tips and replies....i ran into a guy who does it as a side line so i will give it to him....i would probably sneeze and mess it up :p

What's a good height? I'm happy with mine.When I sit straight up,I see over the top.When I slouch a little I see below.So I slouch in the rain.

What's a good height? I'm happy with mine.When I sit straight up,I see over the top.When I slouch a little I see below.So I slouch in the rain.

mine was fine with the stock seat but when i put on my mustang it raised me up just enough that the top of the windshield is right in my line of sight.

I cut mine with a 3" cut off tool, marked it with a felt tip pen, & sanded the edges. I did it @ 4". I have a SG shield the 4" that I cut & a 5" opaque w/flames on it. Once I get the flames for my 4" I will run it. The SG I tried to roll the edge with a heat gun (it didn't work out) so I might paint on it.

Toby

you have the right idea. I have done it many times with tape to prevent scratching, a jigsaw with a metal blade and a little sand paper to cleen it up. no problem, good luck.

I just ordered a new one from a good company for just over $60.00.
That way I still have the old one just incase I need it.

I just ordered a new one from a good company for just over $60.00.
That way I still have the old one just incase I need it.

Let us know if the product is a good one and at that price if it's worth it, please let us know the vendors name.

Back