free website stats program cutting down a winshield | Harley Davidson Forums

cutting down a winshield

lorne

i would like to cut down my windshield by about 2-4 in has anyone does this if so can i get a bit of guidance. thinking of tracing the top then taping the trace paper down and cutting with a jig saw. i plan to use some thick tape where the cut will be.

open to all other ideas

thanks in advance

You tape first and set up for a small amount of an inch or less to take off. Use a compass and/or speed square to lay out some accurate lines with a pen. Take a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a metal cutoff disc in it and pull the line layer by layer, taking care to not:
1.) sneeze, or
2.) go too fast, creating melted slag
3.) Pull the tape and go ride. Feel the direction and intensity of the wind front. You may want more difference, so repeat 1 & 2.
4.) You like it? Now retape and cut off excess, regardless of curves you picked (mine does and S-scroll). Begin sanding coarse with around `100 or 150 and go thru the grits to at least 1200. You can use a paper bag for a free 2000. Once the edges are clearing, then take Maguires Plastix for a final gloss shine. You'd think it came that way. I even have a 3000 grit pad that was bought for this purpose; it's just not necessary on paint.
I use angle grinders for all plastic to steel operations because it saves gas and dresses it's own edge. Don't forget that your 'SAW' cuts will have to be smoothed and straightened, something you WON'T need to do with the grinder.
Just sharin' here.

Whenever I needed a windshield to be cut, I took it to my local window shop.
They would cut/trim the windshield as I needed and smooth the edge so it looked factory.
Charge.... $10.

i would like to cut down my windshield by about 2-4 in has anyone does this if so can i get a bit of guidance. thinking of tracing the top then taping the trace paper down and cutting with a jig saw. i plan to use some thick tape where the cut will be.

open to all other ideas

thanks in advance

Your plan will work just fine. I have done the same thing several times. It won't take much buffing and the edge will look great!

I wish that I had used tape to find out exactly where I wanted to cut , as it turned out I could have left it an inch or two taller , would have worked much better in the rain . Just apply tape and ride , repeat until you get it just right .

Another plus for the glass shop. If my sometimes faulty memory serves, it was $15 last time and very professional. Need to do it to the Ultra again. For a few bucks, I'd rather let the pros tackle it. JMH0

I wish that I had used tape to find out exactly where I wanted to cut , as it turned out I could have left it an inch or two taller , would have worked much better in the rain . Just apply tape and ride , repeat until you get it just right .

You're not stuck. Get a piece of 3/8" vinyl hose long enough to wrap the top edge of the shield and slice it lengthways. Then take a paper single hole puncher and make some half-holes along one edge about 1 or 1-1/2" apart, and put the holed side in front so the rain can run into it like a gutter and drain out either side. You'll be a lot less wet and not have those giant goblets hitting your glasses.
The hose is an old trick, but I came up with the hole puncher idea as an improvement.

You're not stuck. Get a piece of 3/8" vinyl hose long enough to wrap the top edge of the shield and slice it lengthways. Then take a paper single hole puncher and make some half-holes along one edge about 1 or 1-1/2" apart, and put the holed side in front so the rain can run into it like a gutter and drain out either side. You'll be a lot less wet and not have those giant goblets hitting your glasses.
The hose is an old trick, but I came up with the hole puncher idea as an improvement.

Interesting idea. How do you keep the hose connected to the windshield edge? It doesn't seem like the pinch of the split hose would be enough.

Another plus for the glass shop. If my sometimes faulty memory serves, it was $15 last time and very professional. Need to do it to the Ultra again. For a few bucks, I'd rather let the pros tackle it. JMH0
Yup. They have the tools and experience.
I sat on the bike and determined the line of sight I wanted.
Had a friend mark the height I wanted.
Took the windshield in and picked up up later when done.
Looking perfect. Can't tell it was ever trimmed.

My window shop has forms to give the correct cut.
Sure wouldn't want to look lop-sided on an expensive windshield.

I took my RK windshield to Tap Plastics and they cut it down.
It took a week and about $60.00 so the window shop sounds much better.

Back