free website stats program Cutting Chromed metal | Harley Davidson Forums

Cutting Chromed metal

dogdad

I have an extra passenger back rest with luggage rack that I want to cut up. I want to cut the top portion of the back rest right above the luggage rack attachment. I 'm trying to keep the look of the luggage rack but not have the top chrome portion of the sissy bar sticking up. Then I'm going to put chrome plugs or caps at the tube where I cut. So my question is , how would you cut this cleanly? I thought possibly a dremel tool with cutting disk. Any ideas?

I would tape the area to help prevent chipping, using a dremel will produce heat, another concern. Could you make a trial cut on the peice your removing higher than final cut?

I would tape the area to help prevent chipping, using a dremel will produce heat, another concern.

As Locke mentioned, this should be you main concern. If you cut it with any abrasive type disc, it will create lots more heat than you may think. Too much heat will cause the crome to peel, flake, or turn blue, all of which would be unacceptable.

If you decide to use the dremel, go very slow....keep a cold wet rag close by, cut a little then apply the wet rag, repeat until you have it completely cut.

The practice cut is a good idea too!!!!

Good Luck and let us know how it turn out!!

Wayne

I agree with Steve07. Use a band saw or hack saw. Then carefuly remove the burs with a flat file on the outside and a ratail file in the inside. Paint the raw ends with clear paint of some sort, even clear nail polish to prevent rusting. Then put your caps on.

I have an extra passenger back rest with luggage rack that I want to cut up. I want to cut the top portion of the back rest right above the luggage rack attachment. I 'm trying to keep the look of the luggage rack but not have the top chrome portion of the sissy bar sticking up. Then I'm going to put chrome plugs or caps at the tube where I cut. So my question is , how would you cut this cleanly? I thought possibly a dremel tool with cutting disk. Any ideas?

I would use a reinforced wheel that is available for the Dremel. If you make repeated cuts around the circumference you won't generate much heat. If you do then put a cold rag on it. If you use a hacksaw then you will more than likely slip and mar the surface. My Dremel is invaluable in restorations or modifications.

I would use a reinforced wheel that is available for the Dremel. If you make repeated cuts around the circumference you won't generate much heat. If you do then put a cold rag on it. If you use a hacksaw then you will more than likely slip and mar the surface. My Dremel is invaluable in restorations or modifications.

I found out how slippery the chrome was using a hacksaw...it just floated on the metal.... Then I put a couple of those nylon cable tie locks on to keep the blade from sliding and used them for a guide cutting between them.. Worked great. now I need to find some chrome tops for it. Went to HD to try the toppers and they were to big or small.

try home depot, it has been a while since i looked for plugs there, but they did carry them at one time.

Back