free website stats program cruise help please! | Harley Davidson Forums

cruise help please!

09 Ultra- engine light came on on me the other day and didn't seem to be any running probs. I got home,pulled up PO577 cruise input high code,so I took bike back out and tried cruise and sure enough it wouldn't set. After trying several times it set,eng. lt. went out, then approx. 5 seconds later cruise let go and eng. lt. back on. Any thoughts? BTW,First timer here,been taking all the great suggestions -(Oils,tfi,etc.) and using them. Great site.

The fact that it came on after trying several times indicates a possible problem with the Switch itself. I don't have any info in my manual for cruise control diagnostics but I would be looking at the Switch and then the Vehicle Speed Sensor and connections to each as possible culprits.

Thanks guys but I already know codes-tried 08-down procedure but mines an 09. Only connection I haven't checked is ECM. Seems to me it could possibly be switch but odd that it sets,holds,cancels,eng light on,all within 5-10 secs. everytime I try it. Will live w/light on,no cruise if I have to--will NEVER take it to my dealer.

I think there are 2 parts to that link I posted. One is how to initialize the cruise control on the pre 08 bikes while the other one (if I am reading it correctly) explains how to pull the cruise control dropout codes and what they mean. Now that you know you have a P0577 code this procedure will show what it was that prompted the code.

At least thats how I see it?

Sorry I didn,t mention that it was the first time I tried to set it that it took several tries. Now it's every time- Eng Light on,set cruise,holds 5-10 secs.,falls off,light on again. Can't be the first one with this prob. I've had all the usual issues i have read about on this bike,heat,ft.wheel bearings,trans mainshaft bearing,etc. Do all my own wrenching so I'll try to fix it or live with it. I'll keep checking in for suggestions.

That procedure for pulling dropout codes doesn't seem to work on my 09. Maybe there's another way. Speedo only gives me DTC's

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure they will. I hope I don't pull what little hair I have left out first-this is almost as bad as new farm equipment- almost.

Check all cruise componets for secure connections.

This may help????: Checked all the connections I could find, none seemed loose. Cleared the codes, went for a ride and engine light came on and cruise still wouldn't work. Sooooo - I took it to dealer and they said the set/resume switch went bad. They replaced and all is well (according to them.)

Back