free website stats program cruise controler question | Harley Davidson Forums

cruise controler question

i folks, I am a newbie from belgium (see my presentation)
I have a basic question about cruise controler on US models.
On my electra CVO 2009 (a european version), there is a speed limitation for the cruise controler. The speed limit is 137 km/hr or around 86 mph, above that speed the speed controler trip off automaticaly
do you also have such a limitation?
is there a way to override it ?

Thank you

unfortunatly I tried, on my bike it's impossible to switch it back on imediatly.....

what i will try is to switch on th cc above 90 then engage it, maybe it will work, but i don't think so.......

When I installed mine it stated that it will not engage below 10 MPH and will not engage above 85 MPH. Must be the MOCO looking out for our well being. I believe it has words to that affect in the owners manual. I know I read it somewhere.

Ride safe keep the dirty side down:)

in fact it's in the european manual, but diferent setting of the US one would have allowed to me to maybe replace something by a US part and be able to ride any speed on CC. Old cc had not limitations if my souvenir are correct

The owners manual for my '07 says it will not engage below 10 or above 85 mph. I doubt they relaxed the settings for '09.

My will set at 85 but not above it...never realized that...so i just took a ride to see...dang!..never knew that...might of gotten to 88..was using Satellite
(gps) to check speed i think its a bit more actuate .

My 07' Street glide came without Cruise control. I installed a factory unit this past summer prior to a trip out west. Here is what the instructions that came with it state. " This unit will not engage below 40MPH." There is no mention of a maximum or cut out range. Is this different from factory installed? I have no idea.
I do know this.....The HD factory set up as a kit does plug into the main wiring harnes near the battery compartment. That harness does go to the brain box. Why? Well, I'll assume the controler (mechanical cable servo) gets information from several sources. 1. Throttle position sensor 2. info given to it from the hand controls ( coast, set, increase, etc.), the speedo, and the on/off switch on the dash.
Have I had it set above 85MPH. Yes. This was on I-70 going across the boring state of Kansas.
So what is the difference? I can only assume that when it is installed in the factory, a flash code is programmed into the brain werks to indicate it installed as an option. This is also done when other factory electrical accessories are aboard on some of the Ultras. This is done for electrical system load managing.
When you install this Cruise option in the home shadetree mechanics garage, that flash code is not installed. Obviously this varies greatly model to model as well as the age of the bike. I've never dove too deeply into the brain box department but it is just a theory.

I got a 2010 EG classic 2 wks ago. the manual states system will not work below 30 mph/(48 Km/h) or above 90 mph (145 km/h). I haven't really tested it yet, doing breakin. Oh and manual states if non-specified tires or gearing may affect cruise control operation ( I read it to mean different MPH or KPH)

Pete

My 07' Street glide came without Cruise control. I installed a factory unit this past summer prior to a trip out west. Here is what the instructions that came with it state. " This unit will not engage below 40MPH." There is no mention of a maximum or cut out range. Is this different from factory installed? I have no idea.
I do know this.....The HD factory set up as a kit does plug into the main wiring harnes near the battery compartment. That harness does go to the brain box. Why? Well, I'll assume the controler (mechanical cable servo) gets information from several sources. 1. Throttle position sensor 2. info given to it from the hand controls ( coast, set, increase, etc.), the speedo, and the on/off switch on the dash.
Have I had it set above 85MPH. Yes. This was on I-70 going across the boring state of Kansas.
So what is the difference? I can only assume that when it is installed in the factory, a flash code is programmed into the brain werks to indicate it installed as an option. This is also done when other factory electrical accessories are aboard on some of the Ultras. This is done for electrical system load managing.
When you install this Cruise option in the home shadetree mechanics garage, that flash code is not installed. Obviously this varies greatly model to model as well as the age of the bike. I've never dove too deeply into the brain box department but it is just a theory.

would be interesting to know if the factory units they provide are different that the ones instaled stock on the bike

Back