free website stats program Cruise control | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cruise control

There are codes for the cruise last 10 cancel/stops stored somewhere. Haven't had time to find out where. Also if you hold in set position to long it won't.

Still not engaging after adjustment and running the test stray dog suggested. Time to take it to Harley seeing they were the one's who installed the cables and cruise worked before they worked on it.

A simple test to see if it is the Roll off is to disconnect the wires on the cable and see if it will Set & Hold. Another problem can be Loose front brake lever vibrating with wind etc. causing the front brake light switch to activate. Just keep forward pressure on the lever if suspected. It's hard to see brake light flickering unless someone behind you watches it.
tourbox

Unplugged the leads on the cable, still will not engage. Red light comes on when I push the toggle on the fairing and green light comes on when I set the cruise but it will not hold even when the light stays green.
I ran every test known to man but nothing!! Going to take it back to Harley next week, they installed the cables and the cruise worked before they touched it.

There are codes for the cruise last 10 cancel/stops stored somewhere. Haven't had time to find out where. Also if you hold in set position to long it won't.

I found it and it holds the last 8. Mine showed code 242 which has something to do with RPM's and slipping rear tire wet or ice which makes no sense at all.

111 No Codes, memory clear
112 Throttle roll off
113 Cruise switch turned off
122 frt or rear brake applied
211 Coast interval longer than 6 seconds (S/C button)
212 speed dropped below 30 mph while s/c button held
213 speed below 26 mph or above 90 mph
221 speed drops more than 15 mph below speed set point
222 speed decrease exceeds 20 mph per second
223 vehicle speed sensor input
231 rpm exceeds 5000
232 tach signal lost
242 high rate of engine rpm change (e.g., hit ice or slipping tire)
341 low voltage
internal failure if code 311, 312, 313, 321, 323, 331, 332, 333, 342, 343, 351, 352, 353, 361, 362, 363, 371, 423, 432, 777

Well the 242 code is unexpected. It doesn't have anything to do with changing the cables either. I don't think the dealership is going to take responsibility for this., especially since you said the new cables where put on last year.

I don't have any more ideas other than disconnect battery and inspect-clean-dielectric grease the connections at the cruise control module & ecm.

Good Luck

111 No Codes, memory clear
112 Throttle roll off
113 Cruise switch turned off
122 frt or rear brake applied
211 Coast interval longer than 6 seconds (S/C button)
212 speed dropped below 30 mph while s/c button held
213 speed below 26 mph or above 90 mph
221 speed drops more than 15 mph below speed set point
222 speed decrease exceeds 20 mph per second
223 vehicle speed sensor input
231 rpm exceeds 5000
232 tach signal lost
242 high rate of engine rpm change (e.g., hit ice or slipping tire)
341 low voltage
internal failure if code 311, 312, 313, 321, 323, 331, 332, 333, 342, 343, 351, 352, 353, 361, 362, 363, 371, 423, 432, 777

Well the 242 code is unexpected. It doesn't have anything to do with changing the cables either. I don't think the dealership is going to take responsibility for this., especially since you said the new cables where put on last year.

I don't have any more ideas other than disconnect battery and inspect-clean-dielectric grease the connections at the cruise control module & ecm.

Good Luck

The code makes no sense to me either! I'm sure the dealership will weasel their way out of covering their work.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

The code makes no sense to me either! I'm sure the dealership will weasel their way out of covering their work.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I think the 242 code could be set pulling the clutch while in cruise.

I also think that these codes are not problem codes (with exception of #341),
they just tell you why the cruise dropped out the last 8 times, not why the cruise isn't working.

Check them plugs! Speedo & tach also!
I've been reading some of Hoop's old posts and now I'm on a cleaning plug kick :D :D It's free!
The cruise module should be under left side cover.

Still not engaging after adjustment and running the test stray dog suggested. Time to take it to Harley seeing they were the one's who installed the cables and cruise worked before they worked on it.

The cruise initialization sets the stepper motor and the cable of the cruise module, when you do this the RPM will go up and then back down to idle. Did that happen when you did it?

The cruise initialization sets the stepper motor and the cable of the cruise module, when you do this the RPM will go up and then back down to idle. Did that happen when you did it?

No, there was no change in the RPM's when I did the initialization but every other aspect of the test checked out correct.

Back