free website stats program Cruise control | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cruise control

Maybe the front brake switch was compromised disassembling or assembling the switch housing. Is the brake light on all the time? Any short for brake lights will deactivate the cruise. Like tourbox said, wiggle the lever a little without actually pulling it and see if brake light flickers.

No flickering but the handle is very sensitive, light touch will activate the brake light.

Jeff,
it takes very little movement of front lever to activate, maybe a 1/32 at housing-to-lever. the rear pedal 3/4 to 1" travel pressing on it with my foot normally. You can distinctly hear the relay.
As far as tightening, no. But there is a bushing in the pivot if worn.

Jeff,
it takes very little movement of front lever to activate, maybe a 1/32 at housing-to-lever. the rear pedal 3/4 to 1" travel pressing on it with my foot normally. You can distinctly hear the relay.
As far as tightening, no. But there is a bushing in the pivot if worn.

Thanks for checking, that's about what I have too. I just thought that seemed a little sensitive. I would also think that if the brake light was activating the green light for the cruise would not come on and mine does it just won't engage the cruise all the time. I got it to engage a couple times the other day but not always. I adjusted the pull back tension on the cable, hopefully that will be the fix. Gonna take it out later today to see.

Thanks again.

Did you readjust your throttle/idle cables?

In front of the tank slide the boot forward on the idle cable. You should be able to pull the outer sheathing apart, mine is about 3/32".
You should also have about 1/8 play at the throttle.
All of this with handle bars full L & R also.

Then if you do the initialization, and it works, I believe you should be good to go.

Did you readjust your throttle/idle cables?

In front of the tank slide the boot forward on the idle cable. You should be able to pull the outer sheathing apart, mine is about 3/32".
You should also have about 1/8 play at the throttle.
All of this with handle bars full L & R also.

Then if you do the initialization, and it works, I believe you should be good to go.

I adjusted the cable and now have the correct amount of play, I think it was to tight and that might have been my issue. Going to go for a ride today and see if that fixed it.

One more thing, your throttle should be smooth and not binding with the bars at full left & full right. The throttle should snap back with no help. The cables also need to be free/not binding. If so the are not routed properly or too short.
Stuffing these in a RK nacelle, I would error on the side of 2" too long of cables rather than short in my experience.

Back