Cruise control

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Jeff Klarich, May 28, 2015.

1. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

I changed both throttle cables last year on my 05 ultra classic and now my cruise control works intermittently. Took it for a ride yesterday and could only get it to engage 2 time with numerous attempts. Red lite comes on when I activate the switch and green lite come on when I set the cruise but it won't lock in.

Could this be an adjustment on the cables or is electrical? I had the cables installed at Harley and cruise worked fine before the work was performed.

2. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

On your Return cable there is a switch called the Roll Off Switch.The elect. connection is near the R/H front of the tank. If the return cable is adj. wrong(too tight?) it could be causing your problem. I think you can ck. the switch with a VOM.
    tourbox

3. Jeff Klarich

Thanks tourbox, I've heard the cable adjustment can cause issues with the cruise control. As I said, it worked fine before the cable replacement.

With the ing on I have power to 1 side of the elect. connection you mentioned. I'll adjust the cable return and hopefully that's the fix.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  4. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

+1

Did you do a cruise control initialization after?

Harley Davidson Forums

or look here,

Harley Davidson Forums

5. Jeff Klarich

No i did not, I had Harley install the cables and would assume they would check for that. I adjusted the cables today but didn't get a chance to try it due to rain. I'll test it out hopefully tomorrow and report back.

Thanks.

6. 03ultra45385

03ultra45385 Active Member

Check for codes. I believe it saves last 10 times cruise was set or attempted. They can be very helpful in a situation like this.

7. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

A simple test to see if it is the Roll off is to disconnect the wires on the cable and see if it will Set & Hold. Another problem can be Loose front brake lever vibrating with wind etc. causing the front brake light switch to activate. Just keep forward pressure on the lever if suspected. It's hard to see brake light flickering unless someone behind you watches it.
    tourbox

8. Jeff Klarich

No codes.

9. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

Maybe the front brake switch was compromised disassembling or assembling the switch housing. Is the brake light on all the time? Any short for brake lights will deactivate the cruise. Like tourbox said, wiggle the lever a little without actually pulling it and see if brake light flickers.

10. Jeff Klarich

Brake lite not on but if I give the brake handle a light touch it activated the brake lite. Is that normal? can I adjust the tension on the handle?