free website stats program cruise control | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cruise control

I installed the HD electronic cruise on mine last fall,on short runs I don't use it,but on longer runs I wouldn't be without it again,IMO the throttle locks are garbage compaired to a real cruise control

The throttle lock cant hold a candle to the electronic cruise but the lanskey throttle lock is better then the thumb screw lock by far . IMO

I have the oem lock on my 02 wide glide and use it quite a bit.I find it a little difficult to turn that star with gloves on but it gives your hand a break and lets you stretch your fingers out.

I have an old Air Force injury to my right shoulder and my hands go numb after a few miles of riding. I am thinking of installing the Brakeaway cruise control. Anybody had any experience with this?
I use that star thingie but it is hard to use with gloves on and my fingers numb.
JP

I have electronic cruise on my 08 Ultra and I like it on long rides especially since I have a problem with my right hand going numb when cruising for a long time. The cruise helps give your hand a break. I don't think I would want a bike without it.

If I'm not mistaken, the "star" device everyone keeps referring to was never intended to be a cruise control. It is a throttle friction device and cranking it up too much defeats the spring return function of the throttle and could be dangerous if you forget to loosen it when you get off the interstate and back into stop and go traffic.

Much better to get a throttle locking device which can be actuated on and off with a paddle - quicker, safer, and able to be used even with gloves on.

I use the OEM electronic cruise control when at steady speeds for extended times and I have the Crampbuster for giving my right wrist a break at all other times - it's like the throttle boss some grips come with but it's not permanently attached and it can be adjusted around the circumference of the grip.

I have an old Air Force injury to my right shoulder and my hands go numb after a few miles of riding. I am thinking of installing the Brakeaway cruise control. Anybody had any experience with this?
I use that star thingie but it is hard to use with gloves on and my fingers numb.
JP

JP, I've got some similar nerve issues, and used a less expensive model of the Breakaway on my previous bike, and had mixed results. It held the throttle in place for awhile, but tended to let it slowly roll off. The Breakaway may work better.

One thing that I've found that helps is a "crampbuster". It's a paddle that fits on the grip, and you can use the palm of your hand to control the throttle. It really helps with the numbness.

I don't even use the star thing, but when the arms go numb, I stop for a beer. That adds an element of control to my crusing!:mgun

Back