free website stats program cruise control | Harley Davidson Forums

cruise control

How many of riders use cruise control on there bikes and is there a particular kind to use?

My '03 UC has OEM cruise on it. To be honest, I have rarely used it. Most of my riding is commuting back and forth to work. The most it gets used for is to hold the throttle setting while I adjust the right mirror. However, on a long trip, I can see that it might provide relief for the right hand.

TQ

Last edited:
The cruise control is nice to use on those long "droning" rides when you are "reelin' lots of freeway miles...

That said, sometimes that little star wheel is somewhat fragile (requires disassembly to replace threaded housing) or hard to use with gloved hands; so some people use the $10 throttle paddle (metal one is more expensive) that clips on to your right grip, and actuated simply with the heel of your hand...food for thought.

I use the OEM cruise on my Ultra mostly on longer trips on the interstate when traffic is light. It's nice to be able to rest/stretch the right arm once and a while.

I use the electronic cruise control on my SG anytime I've got a lengthy bit of roadway with a constant speed. I've also got a throttle boss on my grip so I can hold speed with the palm of my hand. I've got some nerve problems in my right wrist, so both are a tremendous help.

I don't have cruise on my Heritage but have had it on my cagers for years and quite frankly the wife and I never use that option.Of course it's one of those options they make you pay for whether you want it or not.NJ being such a stop and go state it's really not very practical to use the cruise on a bike or car unless on the turnpike and with the turnpike being so crowded it could be dangerous.

I use the electrionic cruise control as much as I can & Iove it:s . On the other bikes I had I used the lanskey throttle lock & it worked great & was easy to use & was inexspensive about $35 .

I find I use my cruise control on the Ultra a lot. I have some arthritis in my hands, and after a while, it's nice to relax the grip with the cruise control. I also find it's an easy way to monitor your speed, and use it in my cage constantly.

I installed the HD electronic cruise on mine last fall,on short runs I don't use it,but on longer runs I wouldn't be without it again,IMO the throttle locks are garbage compaired to a real cruise control

I had cruise on my 04 and now on my 08. It is great when you got a lot of highway to chew up (think Nebraska) The difference I notice on the 08 is you don't get the little movements in the throttle grip when the cruise adjusts. It is a throttle by wire bike.

Back