free website stats program Cruise Control Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Cruise Control Question

hogcowboy

Do I have something starting to fail or what? Every now and then the cruise control will get shut off like I hit the brake but didn't. Has always happened on a very smooth surface doing 70+ mph and I've just been sitting back enjoying the ride. Surprises the heck out of me when it happens. And it's rare that it even happens. I can go 2 3 4 5 hundred miles and then bang, it happens. So is something getting ready to take a dump on me? Bike has 15,000+ miles but I've only had it a year so I don't know it's whole history. Maybe this is the reason it was sold or traded in. I can live with it a long time but getting curious as to what may be going on.

Perform a WOW test to check and see if you have any historical DTC's that would give you a lead on the cause. It's probably an intermittent switch within the disengage loop. Since the problem can be so intermittent (every 500 miles), it may be a challenge to nail down in 2 or 3 easy steps but it can be found.

Do you perform your own repairs and have a quality meter or will you be taking it into an Indy or dealership to have it repaired.

Do you perform your own repairs and have a quality meter or will you be taking it into an Indy or dealership to have it repaired.

Well I can do SOME of my own repairs but NOT when it comes to electrical. So I'll just wait until I have a solid failure, then it might be something I can replace. Had a GM engineer once tell me, "don't fix anything until it's broke". Said most things are so over engineered you can get away with a lot before you really need to do anything. Plus finding something that's so intermittent would be tough at best. I was just wondering if there was something that was a know aliment and if what I was experiencing might be it. Sounds like not. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Hold cruise switch in the "set" position.
2. Turn the cruise "on"
3. Turn the main power switch on, the cruise light should initially come on then turn green, release the cruise switch the light will turn amber.
4. Push the cruise switch to "resume" the light should turn green, release the switch, the light should turn amber.
5. Roll the throttle "off", make sure you roll it off to activate the cutoff switch for the cruise, the light should turn green, release the throttle the light should turn amber.
6. Apply the front brake, the light should turn green, release it, the light should turn amber.
7. Apply the back brake, the light should turn green, hold the brake until the light turns amber, release the brake now, you should hear the cruise motor adjusting itself (taking ujp the slack).

What you have done is test each of the "switches" that are in the cruise system. If, during any of the tests, the light does not turn green, then that part is at fault.

The back brake switch is often at fault. You can test that by applying the brake and see if the light is already on. If it is, the cruise will not engage.

The front brake switch can be at fault also, as it sometimes gets damaged when work is done on the right handgrip/brake lever assembly and the proper procedure is not followed.

The "roll-off" switch can also be at fault. Check the connections on that.

Well I can do SOME of my own repairs but NOT when it comes to electrical.

Hot off the press & made just for you. The 2007 has "drop-out diagnostics". The next time the cruise drops out while riding, immediately perform this test to see what device caused the Cruise to drop out. It logs the last 8 events so immediately stop, look at the log and cross reference the code.

It couldn't be easier than this!

Attachments

• Drop-Out Diags.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 28
Just got back in from two PGR missions today so sorry I didn't get to this sooner.

Jack....that sure is a bunch to do. I'll have to get a printout of your instructions and give it a whirl.

Hoople....same thing, I'll get a print of your instructions and keep it with the bike and see what happens. Now I'll just have to try remembering to stop the next time it happens. That may be the hard part for no more often than it happens.

Thanks very much guys.

I had problems with my 03 ultra. The front brake switch was real touchy and sometimes it seem like I had extra play in the lever and I would have to push the lever forward to get cc to stay. Does it reset immediately?

I had problems with my 03 ultra. The front brake switch was real touchy and sometimes it seem like I had extra play in the lever and I would have to push the lever forward to get cc to stay. Does it reset immediately?
Yes it resets immediately. I don't travel with my hand off the grip so I'm right on it when it happens. I haven't had a chance to check the other stuff mentioned above yet either. Just takes me a long time to get in mechanic mode. I'd rather ride.:s

Yeah the plastic bushing in the lever could be worn just enough to let the lever bump in the switch. It don't take much!

I would go for the Clutch-Brake Levers being the Problem here...Doing the clutch handle, foot and hand brake, Using the same TEST.

It doesn't take Much movement to make contact to OUT the Cruise...

Try to barely touch the handles in while in cruise,,,,,,IF ONE of the three MAKES Cruise go OFF easily,,,I think you have the Culprit.

All good information from the others,,, just need some time to Digest it.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Back