free website stats program Cruise control problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Cruise control problem

slhanks

This past weekend, I changed out the front brake and clutch levers for some aftermarket chrome ones on my 2011 Limited. I was very careful to not damage the clutch or brake switches in the switch pods. Everything seemed to go well, but ever since my cruise control has been "touchy".

As I was riding to work today, I set the cruise control and it was working fine until I hit a small bump in the road and it canceled. Couldn't set it again until after I had stopped at a light and started moving again. Once I had it set, I barely touched the grip and off it went, again I was unable to set it. It seems to work normally if I cancel the cruise by using the brake or clutch, but not if I roll the throttle back, as it used to.

Any ideas?

front brake switch could be damaged.The Factory manual states something about a small shim place in between lever and housing to prevent damage

Doesn't take much to damage those intricate switches - not that you damaged anything w/handle install, but I'd take bike in for warranty check...just to make sure.

After I got home from work tonight I had some spare time, so I took a good close look at the brake switch in the right hand switch pod. The switch seems to work properly, the problem appears to be that the new lever is barely contacting the brake switch. Just by jiggling the lever a little, I can make the brake light flash. This explains why the cruise is canceling when I go over a bump. All it takes is a little movement to activate the brake light. I tried adjusting the switch pod and master cylinder assembly to get them as close as possible, but it's possible my new lever is slightly under tolerance and is not sufficiently contacting the switch. I guess I'll need to contact the vendor.

Good catch - even though aftermarket levers should be manufactured for wide array of bikes...some could be a tad different & not work on certain models. See if they have recommendation, or possible different set for your ride.

After I got home from work tonight I had some spare time, so I took a good close look at the brake switch in the right hand switch pod. The switch seems to work properly, the problem appears to be that the new lever is barely contacting the brake switch. Just by jiggling the lever a little, I can make the brake light flash. This explains why the cruise is canceling when I go over a bump. All it takes is a little movement to activate the brake light. I tried adjusting the switch pod and master cylinder assembly to get them as close as possible, but it's possible my new lever is slightly under tolerance and is not sufficiently contacting the switch. I guess I'll need to contact the vendor.

My 06 Road King did the same thing. There is a tab on the lever that is supposed to rest gently against the switch, my lever was just a little too short so I wrapped it in duct tape. It was working fine a year later when I sold the bike.

PROBLEM SOLVED - I rode the bike this morning and my "adjustment" seems to have fixed the problem. I rode over a cobblestone area and the cruise didn't cancel due to the vibration.

For future reference, bear in mind the switch housing containing the brake switch is a separate unit from the master cylinder/lever assembly and the two must be positioned properly in relation to the lever and the switch.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Back