free website stats program Cruise control install | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cruise control install

I can't say for sure as I have only done my own ? But if you have (NON Police) bike from 2004 or later HD apparently installed the required cable for cruise control on all the touring bikes so that you only have to install the cruise servo unit, the new handlebar switches and you (i think they have to enable it somehow on the computer) and you are done. For the police bikes we have to buy the new harness from CruiseMount then make some minor wiring changes on the exisiting harness. You remove the left side side cover , pull the fuse box down and out of way , install the 3 rubber grommets and 3 nuts to side of batter box, route cruise cable to throttle body and add clips. Install new handlebar switches. THat's about all? Took me a few hours on a rainy day and it worked first try and has been awesome every since. I love it.

I wonder why the Sportster is considered the "red headed step child" and in the Crusise Control FAQ's... "We do not build anything for a Sportster, and probably won't ever."

Even though it is one of MOCO most successful models...feelin' like Rodney Dangerfield..." --no respect."

Is it differant installing the cruise on a 2000 than it is on a 2007?

Never mind, now that I have read the rest of the posts I get it, the police bikes have a different harness and higher output charging system for all of the extra electrical goodies.

I guess that I would have assumed that the cruis hook ups would have still been there though. Guess not.

I get the parts for my cruise install today. I found the cruise kit on Ebay and I ordered the CruiseMount harness. I will take some pics and write notes so I can pass the experience on to everyone else. :52:

Well after much searching I found factory cruise control for my 2000 Roadking. I was about ready to give up because it was an old police bike then I came across a company called CruiseMount. They make up new harnesses that allow bikes that didn't have cruise to put it on. I ordered the wiring harness (200 bucks) and the complete other parts from HD and proceeded to install as per instructions. All went according to the directions and when I rolled it out of the shop headed down the road and turn cruise on.. VOILA~ worked perfectly first try. Now with my new Baker DD6 my bike is truly as new. Anyone interested in more info just let me know.
what were the other parts you needed from HD? and what was the total cost?

Back