free website stats program Crossbones windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

Crossbones windshield

poohbear

I have a 2009 Crossbones with a HD softtail windshield, it was bought and installed by the HD dealer. My clutch cable rubs on it enough where the cable housing is getting damaged. The dealer looked at it and said there is nothing they can do! Any ideas? Anyone know of recalls of this? It appears as a bad design like the crossbones saddlebags is :lolrolling. I like my windshield so it stays I'm thinking when the warranty is about up to have them replace the cable but after???

Yes I tried that and they also tried putting some kind of cover over the cable, both looked like (edit) I like the black look otherwise I would put on a steel line.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about repositioning the hold down for the cable down on the frame. Use of a clamp on type billet cable support can be used to hold it securely in the place that would keep it from rubbing on the windshield.

Wicked Image Cable Clamp

I just looked at mine. My clutch cable runs between the tank and the front fork. Not even close to rubbing on the windshield.

John in Saudi

John, is that on your Road Glide? Just wondering if would be different on a softtail? These guys are not to good over here at this shop.

May want to check for Service Instruction/Bulletin on that Crossbones windshield regarding fitment. Most HD accessories come with them, but it could be they just have a generic notice about cable routing and dressing it not to rub. :no

I know on my windscreen came with detailed instructions, they even included pictures showing where to route cables and had a plastic covered metal clip to fend of the cable from being cut on the holddown hardware. If you had the HD dealer install it, they may have ignored them and "tossed it"...as "--they are professionals and know what they are doing...":lolrolling

Yes "professional' right.hahaha. I do not have any paperwork need to try to get some. can not run it the way 'porterjet' says would rub the tank, so i'll keep trying things.

On my sportsters windsheild brackets, there is a piece of hard plastic that fits over one of the brackets that is close to where the cable is routed. Maybe a small piece of rubber hose split over either the cable or bracket would solve your problem.

Back