free website stats program Cross Country | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cross Country

This was from 2005:

Hey guys
Wife and I did our road trip on our new ultra in July. Left Maryland on July 7 and headed NW stopped in Sanduski Ohio, then up thru Michigan to Mackinac, over the top of lake Michigan, down to Oshkosh Wis.
2005crosscountrytrip011.jpg

Then headed west on 21 and stayed in Wautoma. Next we went west to Rapid city S.D. Saw the prettiest site on the way, a gas station about 8 mile before Rapid city, 4.7 Gal. Stayed in Rapid city for a day and rode thru Stugis, the black hills, Dead Wood and other old towns in the area.
Saw the Crazy Horse monument,
2005crosscountrytrip041.jpg

Rushmore and rode the Needles highway.
2005crosscountrytrip044.jpg

Then we were off to Cody Wy. and the heat was getting pretty bad, about 50 miles out of Cody we did a fuel stop and a kid in the store said the thermometer hit 108. Skipped the rodeo in Cody, to blasted hot. We then headed for Yellow Stone, the Tetons and down to Jackson Hole. Yellow Stone park is just beautiful, just didn't care for the road work on the side of the mountain pass.
2005crosscountrytrip072.jpg

We then stopped in Twin Falls Idaho, had a 5,000 mile service done on the bike, The dealer took us in on a Friday without an appointment and had us finished the same day even though they seemed to be going full blast in the service dept. Got a chance to do some laundry and take a dip in the pool. Then it was off to the N.W. stopped in Pendelton, from there we rode the Columbia river gorge, stopped on the old road and saw the water falls.

Finished out the day by heading south out of Portland, then west to Newport Oregon. It was a great site to see the Pacific after the long ride.

2005crosscountrytrip078.jpg

Next day we headed down 101 along the coast, great views along the way, saw the red woods. Stayed in Furtuna, next we headed south and over the golden gate bridge and rode 101 thru S.F.
The ride thru northern Californian was cool temp wise, but we now headed S.E. and stopped in a little town called Los Banos on Highway 152 and the heat was back with us again. Next day we stopped in Fresno and found a U Haul van to rent, The wife just couldn't deal with the 100+ heat and the reports were for 110 over in Needles and the route east. We thought of starting out at 5 in the morning but it was over 90 by 7 am from what we heard. Anyway Mathews Harley Davison in Fresno loaded our bike, tied it down and didn't want a dime. I did tip the guys who loaded us up as sweat was pouring off them in the back of the van. We stopped in Needles that evening and it was somewhere around 115, darn hot no matter how you put it.
We headed east on 40 from Needles, I wasn't happy about the U Haul thing at all but was enjoying the AC. Saw just a few bikes on the road that day until we headed north out of Williams and into the Grand Canyon were it cooled off. When we were just about to leave the last over look when I spotted him, this guy was driving thru in a U Haul van identical to the one we were in. I looked at him and he looked over at me and we both broke out laughing, gave each other the wave. As I looked in the rear view mirror I saw his back door open and could see a Harley with a tour pak tied down.

Next we headed east, stopped at the Cadillac ranch in Texas

We turned in the U Haul in Oklahoma and continued our ride east, temps were back under 100.
We met up with one of our riding friends in Gatlimburg TN. Rode up in the great Smokies then up the Blue Ridge Parkway toward home. Twenty three days with two in the U Haul LOL

_
_

Last edited by a moderator:
well I don't know what happened there, guess you can see we were excited to take a pic of the bike with the Pacific ocean as a back drop. I'll continue in a follow up post. :small3d011:

OK, Looks like a admin helped me out with the four ? pics of the Ultra with the Pacific Ocean Back drop. I will just add a few more photo's.
pacheco_pass.jpg

Pacheco pass
san_luis_reservoir_thumb.jpg

San_luis_reservoir
Funny thing, Los Banos is just a little town, not much there. We got a room and stood in front of the air conditioner for ten minutes cooling off. Anyway there were a bunch of old ex school buses parked behind the motel use for migrant workers. We decided we didn't want to eat at any of the little resturants, we would just go to the Sub Way and then pick up some brews at a little Mexican cafe/liquor store. We walk in the liquor store and it's all locals, place went silent as we walked back to the cooler box. When we got up to the register the little guy behind the counter looks at us and says " Man...it lookes like you got's some sun today" You'd had to hear the accent, but the whole place went in a roar! LOL
adilac Ranch
2005crosscountrytrip102.jpg

More Texas
2005crosscountrytrip079.jpg

Wife's U Haul LOL
2005crosscountrytrip086.jpg

Us at an over look Smokey Mountans
2005crosscountrytrip115.jpg

2005crosscountrytrip110.jpg

Great Smokies

Thanks for letting me post! I got's more trips if your interested.:)

Thanks Smity and the rest.
If your going to travel across out great land have fun , see and do all you can, But be prepaired, most time people are frendly, if you do have a problem people you never met will probibly be there to help you if things go wrong.
This was us on hyway 149 in Colorado, we were riding with a group we met here on the internet. (split rim)
SWRALLY049.jpg

Best ever, but we had more bikers stop wanting to help, was great to know we have such a great community. Buy the way this was on the second "Green Chilie Run" we missed this year, doubt we will next year.
Dave

Awesome trip & pix, I am jealous.......thanks for sharing the story with us.

Back