free website stats program Crash | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Crash

People don't want to pay attention to us! Crashing sucks!! you need to be alert and watching the other guy at all times, it's saved my tail more than once. When I did get hit if I hadn't been paying attention I would have lost my right leg!! :small3d012:

Well the only way to get people to look, is too teach them to look and that would have to start at the DMV. It has been over 20 years since I took the DMV driving test and I don't recall anything on "watching for motorcycles" and I don't reckon that the are teaching or stressing to hard to watch for motorcycles today.

This past weekend I drove by a highway memorial and I know the spot because there was a motorcycle fatality at that spot last summer. A driver hit a bike head on and sorry to say the kids were killed. But I did notice that somebody hung a few banners up with the slogan "Look Twice Save a Life". I don't know if these signs and banners are posted in other states, but here in Jersey I have been noticing more and more popping up all the time on the side of the road. They are bright yellow signs with bold black lettering. It is a good thing and I want to look into finding out how to get these signs and volunteer posting them around the county myself.

Now I know myself I have taken a different approach to watching cages and I now watch the "driver" rather than the "car". I'm sure most of us do, but I always stare a driver down and make eye contact. If you are making eye contact, the driver sees you and is less likely to pull out. Now if you see the side of the face or the back of the head, you know your going to get rolled..

Glad to hear your buddy made it out relatively OK. I once posted on this site that I am lucky because I have, at my disposal, hundreds of miles of back country New Jersey (yes we do have back country in NJ) roads where 95% of the traffic it other motorcycles. Many of the folks who postd hit it right on the head, there are too many distractions for drivers today. Like most of us, I pay a whole lot of attention to what is going on around me. Let's face it, in traqffic situations, I am the only person I can count on.....

Now I know myself I have taken a different approach to watching cages and I now watch the "driver" rather than the "car". I'm sure most of us do, but I always stare a driver down and make eye contact. If you are making eye contact, the driver sees you and is less likely to pull out. Now if you see the side of the face or the back of the head, you know your going to get rolled..

Not me - I've had too many people that I SWORE were looking right at me and yet they still pull out. I look at the wheels - if they're not moving at all I still prepare for them to pull out. If there's any movement of the wheels at all, I'm already slowing until the wheels stop again.

I use this method too. I HATE spinners, though!
+1 more. The wheel is the first place one will pick up any sign of movement. I've had drivers look right at me (when on 2 wheels or 4), pull out anyway and act like "where did you come from". Trust no one. It's your life.
Glad to hear your friend came out OK.

Murphy's first law of motorcycling = Someone is going to do something incredibly stupid.

Murphy's second law of motorcycling = They will always do it to you!

If neither one nor two happens, you can arrive home safe and pleasantly surprised. :bigsmiley24:

Back