Crash

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by tjohn005, Mar 23, 2009.

  1. tjohn005

    tjohn005 Member

    15
    11
    0
    I had a buddy get into a crash this weekend, a guy in a SUV turned right on red in front of him at highway speed, Luckly he got it shut down to about 30 before he hit the ground and the SUV, He is very lucky, he walked away with road rash and a missing toenail and cracked helment. Bike is not in bad shape either. When will people start paying ATTENTION TO US ???
     
  2. DDogg

    DDogg Junior Member

    584
    26
    0
    I'm glad to hear he's o.k. We will never get cagers to pay 100% attention to us. We are lucky if it's 50%. The other 50% is us anticipating every move of the cage in front or on the side of you. Hope he's back on the road soon. We can't let our guard down for one minute. When I ride, 10% of my attention in on what I"m doing, the other 90% is trying to determine the cagers next move. Ride safe.
     
  3. silentflyer

    silentflyer Active Member

    341
    26
    0
    HEADLIGHT MODULATORS seem to help......
     
  4. tjohn005

    tjohn005 Member

    15
    11
    0
    He is already looking for parts to fix'er back up.
     
  5. Dr. Dolittle

    Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

    6,399
    108
    24
    Glad to hear your friend had good reactions and is doing OK. It's not just US they're not seeing. I have people pull out in front of me and cut me off whether I'm on 2 wheels or 4. There are just too many distractions to driving these days. Until the fines, penalties, and insurance rates become punitive enough to change people's habits, the situation is not going to improve. Motorcyclists cannot ride 10 MPH under the speed limit just in case someone pulls in front of them or then they'll get rear ended. It's dangerous out there - practice your emergency maneuvers, limit your distractions, don't dull your reactions with alcohol or drugs, and wear a helmet. I'll get off my soap box now.
     
  6. 01dynaglide

    01dynaglide Junior Member

    920
    26
    0
    Glad to hear he made it out ok.
     
  7. Shifter

    Shifter Active Member

    162
    26
    0
    Glad your friend made it thru without serious injury. Bikes can be replaced or repaired.... I tell you, people just don't care anymore. I've had them look right at me at this one intersection by my house, notorious for right hand turn redlight runners. I can't count how many times I've gone to that intersection in my truck, an extended cab Silverado, and have someone look right at me as they turn right in front of me! They know if they pull out in front of them and you rear end them, it's all on you. I've only seen the cops out there once giving out tickets. I really watch it when I go thru there on my bike. A while back a lady made the right hand turn on red as I approached on my Fatboy, didn't look, didn't slow down, luckily an opening in the left lane was there. She never saw/heard me until I pulled up by her window as I dodged her car. I did get a payback when I saw her window was down, cell phone in her ear and pulled the clutch in and nailed the throttle. She saw me then.
     
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  8. TXMikey

    TXMikey Junior Member

    477
    28
    2
    Glad to hear yoiur friend is OK. Sounds like he was really lucky.

    I investigate insurance claims, and can't tell you how often I've people tell me that it's "the law" that if you hit someone in the rear it your fault. That is not the law, and if someone pulls in front of you like that it's their fault.

    We all just need to be watching out for the other person, whether on our bike or in a cage, because the other person is not watching out for us.

    Ride safe everyone.
     
  9. Sharky1948

    Sharky1948 Junior Member

    640
    28
    2
    Glad he's OK!

    In answer to your question, assume NEVER! If they to, count it as luck.
     
  10. Shifter

    Shifter Active Member

    162
    26
    0
    TXMikey, you're right of course, although I didn't say it was "the law". Most people do falsely believe they will not be found at fault in this situation. It's all part of the officer on the scene to document the scene, and it never hurts to have a witness to the accident in a case such as this. I do believe though, as notorious as this intersection is getting for accidents, that more of those right on red light runners should be getting ticketed in rear-end accidents.