free website stats program Crash Boom Bang!!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Crash Boom Bang!!!

I understand it was an accident and of course I still love my daughter. My whole point is "how can they not expect me to be mad at the moment". I since calmed down and told my daughter I still love her but, what I do not understand is how can they can sit there and say I blew it out of proportion when it happened. Ask yourself, if you went outside and saw your BRAND NEW (had it 4 months) EG laying on the ground 17 feet away from where you parked it, wouldn't you just go balistic for a moment (I did), and then I went back in the house and finished eating my sandwich and drinking my lemonaid (it was at that moment when the shock set in).
The dealer will not even touch it untill the adjuster looks at it. I told them you can see what needs replacing at least start ordering the parts, they said they are not allowed to do that. Anyway the adjuster is supposed to be there today.
I will keep you all posted on how well Geico treats me.

Funny thing.. I was sitting on the deck yesterday. Bike was parked in the driveway after washing it. My wife came down the driveway from work and cut the wheel at the last moment, just missing my UC. It had to be by 2 inches! She just didn't see it.

I think I am in your corner, but maybe for a slightly different reason. I think it is the terminology we use. Just about every incident (not all) that happens with vehicles, we call an "accident". But I think most of them are from the operator(s) not doing what they should be doing. That is not an accident. I think we, as riders, see more people on the road not focused on what they are doing. I think riding a motorcycle make us better car drivers, for it. As riders, we have to pay attention when drivers are not, since we have more to lose, thanks to physics and the conservation of momentum.

Did your daughter intend to hit anything with the vehicle: No. But the outcome is completely different if she hit a small child behind instead of your bike. That "potential" is what I would be really upset about. We all accept the calculated risk of what we love doing: riding. I know talking to a 22 year old can be difficult, but maybe if you try the angle of using this as a lesson. Yeah, you blew your stack at seeing your bike whacked. But maybe that wasn't the real reason. Some things we can't avoid, but trying to put the odds in your (or your daughter's) favor is always a good thing.

A guy I grew up with was driving one night and a man who had too much to drink stepped out from behind a parked van. The impact was at 25 mph and the guy was killed. It was ruled an "accident" by the authorities, but my friend Bryan, was never the same. He never took any solace that is was an "accident".

As I get older, I drive slower and try an pay attention more. I think it is because I have had or have seen a few "close calls" and thought, "What if..."

Not long ago my son backed into my other sons jeep with my wifes jeep while looking for a cd to play:(.I got ticked off,but all I could think of is what if it had been a person he backed into? That is what I tried to drill into his head.The fact that he got lucky this time it was only a vehicle he harmed not a human life.I hope your daughter is more aware now.

I like your thoughts Porter, and Steve07 I agree with you as well. Right now I am not allowed to bring it up because my wife says it is upsetting to her (my daughter). What about me, if I don't say anything then what is the leson learned? It is now upestting to me that I am not allowed to say anything is this right?

Sorry about the accident, I am not sure I would have handled it as well as you did. I would probably still be going nuts!

I would lay off a bit and bring it up again in a week or so. No matter how good the message is, if it falls on deaf ears, what good did it do? Take your daughter out for lunch or something. I wouldn't have the conversation anywhere near the motorcycle.

I am sure most of us (especially the guys on this board) were pretty big knuckle heads growing up. No way we would listen until we learned it ourselves. The very fact that most of us are on this board means that we realize there are plenty of smarter, more experienced people out there and at this stage in our lives we will gladly take (and search out) the best approach, rather than buy the wrong accessory or not maintain something correctly. The earlier each of us came to that self understanding, the sooner we reaped the benefits. That is what you are trying to do for your daughter: have her learn earlier than you did! But there is no vaccine for being young and "dumb". Sometimes it has to run its course...

I think I am lucky. When I was 19 my dad told me to do something a certain way. I clearly remember saying to myself, "This guy is nuts! I'll do it his way, just so I don't have to her him complain. It won't work. Then I will do it the way I wanted in the first place." After is was over, I said to myself, "Wow, dad really knew what he was talking about! I would have blown myself up!" Your "elders" are still around for a reason....typically it is because they are faster learners!

Good luck!

Sorry to hear this bad news, I got hit in the parking lot at work from behind by an employee late for work, she did not see me already parked and locked ,it doesnt help not paying attention and looking twice before making your move Good Luck I feal your pain, My 07 Streetbob was down for 2 months I was devastated

Accidents happen as a result of negligence. Some are minor, some are not so minor. What I am wondering is how the bike was pushed 17 feet before she stopped. I'd be upset too under those circumstances.

Ok so here goes...I get home from a nice ride on Saturday after installing a Biketronics Retro Radio kit on my bike (easy to install and works great), park the bike in the driveway behind my wifes car. My 22 year old daughter gets in the car to move it so she can get her fiance's truck in the driveway to load some boxes and backs into my motorcycle sending it seventeen (17) feet down the driveway into the street.
I get mad and upset and now everyone is mad at me, beacuse I was being insensative, after all they are saying it was an accident.
My question here is, how do you miss an Electra Glide in the rear view mirror unless you didn't look?
Can you believe this junk, 3 days before Biketoberfest and a reunion with my two older brothers who I havn't seen in ten years. The local dealer is dragging there feet on ordering the parts because they have to wait for the insurance adjuster, even after I told them get started even if I have to pay out of pocket I will.

Id go balistic too.

Thats not an accident, thats carelessness. There is a difference.

FWIW, I never, ever, park my bike behind a car. Unless its mine.

Can't changed what happened so just bang your head on the garage door a few times, then pull the bike in and git 'er done.....you're married with a daughter, you're never going to be right ...and everything is you're fault... hopefully she learned a good lesson, and will check her surroundings before she moves from now on.
Call your brothers and let em know what happened, get the bike fixed so you can use it and go see them, or get them to come see you while you get it on the road, get caught up on the last decade and enjoy yourself.

Back