free website stats program CrankShaft Scissoring | Harley Davidson Forums

CrankShaft Scissoring

Joe2007ultra

Anyone with 2007 and up have any experience with Crankshaft Scissoring? I Have read and herd that 2007 2008 engines are experiencing a problem due to too much tolerance in the press fit of the crank halves.

Just curious if anyone has had the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone with 2007 and up have any experience with Crankshaft Scissoring? I Have read and herd that 2007 2008 engines are experiencing a problem due to too much tolerance in the press fit of the crank halves.

Just curious if anyone has had the problem.

The short answer is yes. You will find lots of chatter on this site from folks that have had, or are having problems with their 96ci and larger engines. The problem usually manifests itself with increasing vibration later followed by oil pump problems and possibly catastrophic failure. See the self help section for more info.

TQ

I would not hold my breath!!

TQ

Me either but I have heard that the tolerances have been tightened up on the new engines because of this. Don't know if it is rumored or fact but they better do something before they eat too many crank repair/replacements.

I herd they are tighting them up also. Some shops are welding them after pressing. This can be a bad one if its a big batch of cranks.

Scissoring...is that pinch or spread...? if so I don't see how that can happen... a press fit is just that, no tolerances...not like it's a taperd shaft like the 5 part flywheels...
splain please...

The older cranks of past years were keyed or in some cases pinned and the new ones 07 on were just pressed together with none of the above so any sudden or hard acceleration or deceleration would cause them to scissor or cause excessive run out at the oil pump and take it out resulting in the engine damage.
Myself, if I had a scissored crank, I would run it till the engine grenades so I would get an entirely new engine instead of a new crank only.
Who's to say you weren't on the highway and doing 50-60 when the pump went out?

The older cranks of past years were keyed or in some cases pinned and the new ones 07 on were just pressed together with none of the above so any sudden or hard acceleration or deceleration would cause them to scissor or cause excessive run out at the oil pump and take it out resulting in the engine damage.
Myself, if I had a scissored crank, I would run it till the engine grenades so I would get an entirely new engine instead of a new crank only.
Who's to say you weren't on the highway and doing 50-60 when the pump went out?

Now are you saying the crank weights or fly wheels are turning on the crank journal just a tad bit and throwing it out of balance ..or just starting to spread?

Back