free website stats program Crankshaft run out blues | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Crankshaft run out blues

wondering....after 250 miles or so can i ride the bike how i normally ride or do i have to avoid doing 55mph constant like the plague untill i reach 1000 miles?

Coming from a racing engine background and nothing motorcycle except for an old worn out indian motor dad had in his micro race car, schools of thought vary as expected. Some say keep it moderate.....some say run it hard being that the rings will seat for more power. I do not know for myself never having build side by side motors before but I can assure you, it has been done and many times.

wondering....after 250 miles or so can i ride the bike how i normally ride or do i have to avoid doing 55mph constant like the plague untill i reach 1000 miles?

With 250 miles, rings should be seated; it not, well, it's going to take a while. Avoid constant speeds, as much accel/decal as possible when up to operating temperature and keep engine rpm under 3500 for the next 250 miles and then say 4000 until you hit 1000 miles. Change oil and ride it any way you want.

With 250 miles, rings should be seated; it not, well, it's going to take a while. Avoid constant speeds, as much accel/decal as possible when up to operating temperature and keep engine rpm under 3500 for the next 250 miles and then say 4000 until you hit 1000 miles. Change oil and ride it any way you want.

10-4 will do

Here ya go. Just make note of the rpm vs speed in each gear and you will be close enough.

thank you that will help bunches,now we all know lugging a bike during break in is bad bad bad,whats the magic rpm?what rpm should we never drop under while riding(unless one is sitting at a stop light)?

Reading all this about engine break in for new motors, I got to thinking about brand new bikes on the dealers show room floor. How many times have they been started up and ran for a minute or two just to let a potential customer hear the way it sounds??? Is that doing damage to the un-broken in motor??? Even though my bike only had 7 miles on it when I bought it, how many times was it started and shut off before broken in properly???

thank you that will help bunches,now we all know lugging a bike during break in is bad bad bad,whats the magic rpm?what rpm should we never drop under while riding(unless one is sitting at a stop light)?

It really depends on what gear you're in and what bike you're on. You don't have to keep a Harley buzzing but you don't want it to be running just above stall speed in any gear.

Reading all this about engine break in for new motors, I got to thinking about brand new bikes on the dealers show room floor. How many times have they been started up and ran for a minute or two just to let a potential customer hear the way it sounds??? Is that doing damage to the un-broken in motor??? Even though my bike only had 7 miles on it when I bought it, how many times was it started and shut off before broken in properly???

This is a good question, also consider that they will mostly run it cold in neutral.

:44:

Last edited:
Back