free website stats program Crankshaft run out blues | Harley Davidson Forums

Crankshaft run out blues

HOLY DIVER

:(:( well i dropped my bike off at my favorite indy mechanic to have my cam tensioner upgrade done...i'm working 7 days a week no time to do it myself...so anyway i had a message on my answering machine when i got home it was him said,just checked your crankshaft run out we need to talk call me in the morning..........boy thats the last thing i wanted to hear...no mechanic calls to tell you things are good lol.....it just kinda shocked me my bike is an 03 88b motor just haven't herd a lot of crank shaft run out issues on the early 88 motors.anyway if we gotta pull the crank and have it trued up and welded thats what we gotta do

That is bad news. Curious though, how much run out was there?

That is bad news. Curious though, how much run out was there?

just left his shop,i saw with my own eyes .032 run out on the dial indicator......we talked and looked at different options..ordered a screaming eagle stroker crank and pistons so when the bike is all buttoned up she will be a 96 with S&S 510 cams all new bearings in the bottom end cometic gaskets etc .i know i could have sent my crank to revolution and saved a little but figured why not get it the way i want it with all new parts and be done with it. Indy mechanic says lugging the motor is what killed the crank oh it done a number on my oil pump also.brass bushing in the cam plate was gone also

lesson here kids DON'T LUG YOUR ENGINE :newsmile08:

just left his shop,i saw with my own eyes .032 run out on the dial indicator......we talked and looked at different options..ordered a screaming eagle stroker crank and pistons so when the bike is all buttoned up she will be a 96 with S&S 510 cams all new bearings in the bottom end cometic gaskets etc .i know i could have sent my crank to revolution and saved a little but figured why not get it the way i want it with all new parts and be done with it. Indy mechanic says lugging the motor is what killed the crank oh it done a number on my oil pump also.brass bushing in the cam plate was gone also

lesson here kids DON'T LUG YOUR ENGINE :newsmile08:
I can relate to the crank problem, cept I never lugged my engine

Jack is your engine an 88?how bad was the run out?
WAP.gif

Jack is your engine an 88?how bad was the run out?
WAP.gif

96, runout could not be accurately checked because of the damage but the lead tech said it had to be way bad and surprised it did not lock up

I gotcha. Did it chew the cases up or you able to save them?
WAP.gif

They finish the tear down tomorrow, I should know in the morning, thank god I have ESP:s I do know the pistons and barrels are junk

I feel your pain I'm lucky I guess my cylinders are ok but I'm gonna go ahead and put new Pistons in it while I'm at it
WAP.gif

Back