free website stats program Cranks / no start | Harley Davidson Forums

Cranks / no start

Babe

My 2001 duece with 44,000 miles has been starting fine about once a week, have not rode in 2 months. started up rode half a block shut it off for 1 hour. went to go for a ride, cranks but wont start.had Power commander installed 1 year ago, all was fine until now. checked fuses by eye, on My way now to get My volt meter. engine light comes on, fuel pump comes on. Any suggestions ? any and all Help appreciated. Thank You

Had similiar problems with mine. Replaced crank sensor but I dont think that was the problem. Finally replaced battery and seems to work, not sure yet. Battery tested fair but after jumping off truck it started. I am hoping that battery may have had a weak cell. Check out tips for checking cps, it worked for me. Good luck

Does the fuel pump shut off after a period of time following turning on the key? Does it continue to run?

My 2001 duece
engine light comes on,

I would unplug the Power Commander and temporally go back to stock wiring. Try using this PDF to pull any historical codes. This procedure should work for your bike also. Use meter to check fuses because sometimes they can fool you.

Attachments

• Diag_2001_Dyna.pdf
    373.2 KB · Views: 7
Finally replaced battery and seems to work, not sure yet.

This goes back to the 03 SE Deuce. If a fresh battery does fix the no spark issue problem, I would compare the voltage directly across the battery & battery voltage at the primary of the coil (Yel/Green, terminal A) during cranking. Those numbers should be the same or very very close to each other.
If those numbers are far apart, that would explain why a new battery would fix a no spark issue.

Also if your plugs were totally shot or are gaped at some unreal distance, I guess it would also be possible that during times when "every volt counts", it may not have spark.
I have never seen it, but I guess it could be possible. I would lean more on a difference between battery post & coil voltage.

Back