free website stats program crank problems fixed? | Harley Davidson Forums

crank problems fixed?

09 deluxe

I posted about the crank issues on the new 96 engines and am trying to go through all the info and debate. I read something about HD changing something in 2008 or early 2009 to help correct this issue.

Is my 09 deluxe manufactured in June of 2009 free of this possible crank problem?

I posted about the crank issues on the new 96 engines and am trying to go through all the info and debate. I read something about HD changing something in 2008 or early 2009 to help correct this issue.

Is my 09 deluxe manufactured in June of 2009 free of this possible crank problem?

I believe that HD started using a tighter interference fit on the crank pin, but there has NOT been a design change to incorporate splines or a key way, or welding procedures to "lock" the crank halves on the pin.

Having said that, many of the problems encountered with scissoring cranks have been associated with hard use. Jack rabbit starts that almost pull wheelies, and heavy downshift decelerations as a regular diet have contributed to the problem on some engines.

So if you are a fairly conservative rider that does not push your bike toward the limits as a routine event, you probably have a VERY low chance of experiencing this problem. And with the roller chain set up on the cams drive rather than the gear drive, the engine is somewhat tolerant of a minor amount of runout on the pinion. It is the oil pump that is where the worry is on the stock setup (post-'06 engines).

So, assess yourself and your riding style. Then decide whether you have to worry about it or not. If not, just ride!

TQ

Back