free website stats program Crank pin sensor oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Crank pin sensor oil leak

tkeswede

I have noticed oil on base of cylinders of primary side of engine. I think it is coming from the crank sensor. Has anybody else had this leak? Looking for suggestions. Going to take to dealer later this week since it is still under warranty.
It is an 09 electra classic with 8,000 miles on it.
Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me.

Looking for suggestions. Going to take to dealer later this week since it is still under warranty.
Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me.

I have never had a leak there myself, but there is an O-ring on that sensor (part# 11289A) that you could change yourself in 10 minutes & has a MSRP price of .95 cents.

Spend 1/2 a day at a dealer for that...Your time has got to be worth more than .30 cents a hour?:D

It is not a cost or time problem. I just wonder how the o ring could get damaged or leak after all this time. Would you also suggest some type of sealant also? I use amsoil and just recently changed the oil.

Would you also suggest some type of sealant also?

I would not use any sealant. If everything is right, sealant is not needed.

Actually the sensor itself can be leaking and the o-ring could be fine so bring it in. It should be a simple fix.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about the sensor leaking but that could be it. After the oil change I wipe all that area clean so if anything leaked I would be about to see it. Plus I don't like that oil on any of the wires that are in that area. Oil and wire covering don't like each other. Didn't have this problem after the last oil change.
Thanks!

Its easy to damage the crank sensor when replacing the oil filter. Even if you have the right removal tool...Don't ask me how I know.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I suggest a good thorough cleaning of at least the affected area with some grease cutting detergent or Simply Green. Scrub the area with a soft bristle natural fiber brush to make sure you have removed all the existing oil from the area. Let it dry, or air blow it dry and then ride the bike. Keep an eye on that area to try to see the first oil show if it reaccures. This will let you decide EXACTLY what you need to do. The Dealership will not do all that. They will simply replace the sensor and hope that was the problem.

TQ

Well, rode it to the dealer and they said it was the o-ring. Replaced ring, washed bike and test road it. Took about an hr to do. Rode it home and no signs of leaking. Funny how that o ring can just start leaking out of the blue. Going to keep an eye on it. I asked if they had a sensor in stock but said they didn't have one in stock. Glad it wasn't sensor then.
Thanks everyone for help with your responses. I will remember all your help if I have more problems.

Back