free website stats program crank but no start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

crank but no start

Im with TQ here,I would check the source in the nosecone, see if you have power to the coil from there:s

Yep. same here.

Back in 1992 what did HD use for a "trigger" on their ignitions? Was it crank trigger, nose cone reluctance, chopper window LED, points? I don't have a clue because I am new to the HD world. But I would determine if you have a Trigger signal first. Without that your going nowhere.

Yep. same here.

Back in 1992 what did HD use for a "trigger" on their ignitions? Was it crank trigger, nose cone reluctance, chopper window LED, points? I don't have a clue because I am new to the HD world. But I would determine if you have a Trigger signal first. Without that your going nowhere.

Hall effect and they did have problems:s dual fire was stock:s

Hall effect. Hummm interesting. Would you know if it was one physical coil with dual primary windings along with dual Hall effects in the nose cone?
Or was the dual fire done in a module of some sort with just 1 hall effect trigger? Just wondering how it was done back then.

Hall effect. Hummm interesting. Would you know if it was one physical coil with dual primary windings along with dual Hall effects in the nose cone?
Or was the dual fire done in a module of some sort with just 1 hall effect trigger? Just wondering how it was done back then.

Dont know, they were junk, but it was all the MOCO had to offer while the after market was killing them with single fire, yeah they had a module and one pick up in the cone, the module had the rev limiter built in

Early electronic pickup systems were rather "sketchy" with the introduction of Optical triggers (the LED lost brightness, the light detector/driver did not do well in heat), Hall effect (moving metal "teeth" chopping the magnetic field coils near them, sighal amped up, but signals were low level and the teeth had to be many to clock suffciently to trigger ignition coli with robust enough pulse. To few pulses cannot adjust duty cycle to make optimum spark duration.

Took a while before the Bosch system was able to dominate industry, by adjusting duty cycle microprocessor control integrating air flow, spray nozzel location, temperature and their ceramic tipped fine spray injector design. As Jack said, early samples of old technology was not great, but the aftermarket may have something better.

Back