crank but no start

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 92chrisdyna, Aug 16, 2010.

1. 92chrisdyna

92chrisdyna New Member

92 dyna super glide my bike cranks but wont start I have power to the coil and no spark I replaced the coil and nothing where do I go from here I am new to harleys and new to the forum and love some help from you guys thanks

2. Jonas

Jonas Junior Member

Ignition module.

How did you check for spark?

3. 92chrisdyna

92chrisdyna New Member

pulled the plugs ang grounded them to the block and nothing also could it be the crank sensor

4. fwcole

fwcole Active Member

Grounding plugs to block wont give you a spark. youll have to make a set of dummy plugs by taping them together. turn spark plugs opposite of eachother, metal to metal and tape with electrical tape. Then plug the boots back on and check again.

5. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

If you have power to the coil, but no spark at the plugs, you are probably not getting any firing signal from the optics in the ignition module. Open up the nose cone end and see if it is just really dirty in there which can happen if the seal is leaking oil. If not, check that the signal wires from the ignition wire to the coil are not corroded at the coil, or damaged where they come out of the nose cone. Is this a standard HD ignition?

TQ

6. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I don't understand this at all.

I have always grounded plugs to engine and get a spark (when there is no other problem).

7. Jonas

Jonas Junior Member

I do not get it either. Where does the ground come from?

8. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

As breeze3at said i have always grounded plugs to the engine to see if ive got a good spark has always worked for me
    However the engine has to be connected to earth for it to work on rubber mounted engines this is done through earth straps from the engine to the frame
    my old bikes have solid mountings which is the earth for the engine

Brian

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Pretty easy to check for a ground if you have a test light:s

10. Gonzy

Gonzy New Member

Check your resistance on your coil, I believe it should be between 10,000 and 12,500 ohms. Just came across this with my son's sporty. In his case the coil checked out, verdict is that the pinion gear is bad.