free website stats program crank but no start | Harley Davidson Forums

crank but no start

92chrisdyna

92 dyna super glide my bike cranks but wont start I have power to the coil and no spark I replaced the coil and nothing where do I go from here I am new to harleys and new to the forum and love some help from you guys thanks

Grounding plugs to block wont give you a spark. youll have to make a set of dummy plugs by taping them together. turn spark plugs opposite of eachother, metal to metal and tape with electrical tape. Then plug the boots back on and check again.

92 dyna super glide my bike cranks but wont start I have power to the coil and no spark I replaced the coil and nothing where do I go from here I am new to harleys and new to the forum and love some help from you guys thanks

If you have power to the coil, but no spark at the plugs, you are probably not getting any firing signal from the optics in the ignition module. Open up the nose cone end and see if it is just really dirty in there which can happen if the seal is leaking oil. If not, check that the signal wires from the ignition wire to the coil are not corroded at the coil, or damaged where they come out of the nose cone. Is this a standard HD ignition?

TQ

Grounding plugs to block wont give you a spark. youll have to make a set of dummy plugs by taping them together. turn spark plugs opposite of eachother, metal to metal and tape with electrical tape. Then plug the boots back on and check again.

I don't understand this at all.

I have always grounded plugs to engine and get a spark (when there is no other problem).

As breeze3at said i have always grounded plugs to the engine to see if ive got a good spark has always worked for me
However the engine has to be connected to earth for it to work on rubber mounted engines this is done through earth straps from the engine to the frame
my old bikes have solid mountings which is the earth for the engine

Brian

Check your resistance on your coil, I believe it should be between 10,000 and 12,500 ohms. Just came across this with my son's sporty. In his case the coil checked out, verdict is that the pinion gear is bad.

Back