free website stats program Crane Hi-4 ignition problems? | Harley Davidson Forums

Crane Hi-4 ignition problems?

I have a 94 flhr with S&S carb, Rush exhaust and Crane Hi-4 ign. No matter how I jet it, it has no power on top end. It runs good off the line, but once I get to cruise, no power. If I open the throttle all the way it pops out the exhaust. Have changed jetting in all directions. Now it has a 29.5 inter and 74 main. Any ideas? Could the ign. be going bad?

Thanks
RR

Sounds almost like the spark advance curve is going flat and since it pops under WOT the spark timing may be getting scattered. Aren't the Crane ignition systems photo cell triggered?

Mine would miss break up not all time took timing cover off, wiggled crane box stopped wedged piece of wood beteween box & wall. Stick from side of road later i got an other unit ok now this was me problem just a thought..must have been short in box..

The unit is secure in the nose cone, but it is about five years old. Riding in that cone it gets pretty hot and maybe that will shorten its life. All the wiring looks good too. May contact Crane tech for some info. Thanks for the thoughts.

RR

Ripper, welcome to the HDTimeline forum, don't know what year your bike is, but I would pull that nose cone, (be very careful if it has been there undisturbed all these years, may need to get a manual impact wrench with hardened well fitted tips to break the fasteners loose...you may have corrosion or water in that low lying area, and easily fouls up the works, so it should be cleaned out and checked just to be sure.

This is a 94 flhr. I did pull the ignition out and look at it and all looks well. The cup on the cam looks good to. As I said before it sure gets hot under there, but it seems to do it whether cold or hot. Guess there is no way to check these things out unless anyone has an idea.

Thanks,
RR

May contact Crane tech for some info.
RR

Don't know if that is possible after bankrupcy. It's been almost a year.

Guess there is no way to check these things out unless anyone has an idea.

Thanks,
RR

On a '94 is there a place you can install a clear plug and check timing? A friends early Sportster has that. If so, you can take a good roll back timing light like a snap-on MT241 and check the advance curve and for spark scatter.

Did changing the mid & hi range jets /needle have any affect at all? The carb you have does use a slide correct? If so did you do the washer trick under the needle just to see what affect it would have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Crane was still around and answering questions and still putting out parts .. i think they reorganized not went away

Google cranehi4 it brings up a pdf file on trouble shooting and install, Jack

Crane cams has been taken over by Sand S, Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Crane was still around and answering questions and still putting out parts .. i think they reorganized not went away

I do know that the equipment & machine tools was auctioned off last summer out of their Daytona Beach main office plant. Maybe they went overseas with manufacturing and are still in business.

They had a few nice dyno rooms in the Daytona Beach plant. Probably gave them away.

Back