free website stats program Crane hi-4 htc ignition | Harley Davidson Forums

Crane hi-4 htc ignition

motor

I've got a 99flht with a 95" kit .9.8-1 compression and andrews 37 cams .Bassani 2-1 roadrage,but a stock cv40 with two thin washers under the needle .Just bought a crane hi-4 htc (new) at a price i couldn't refuse .Any ideas on which settings i should try first .Any input greatly appreciated

Also i have looked at going to a cv 44 .Is that a waste of time and money,or not?

Just bought a crane hi-4 htc (new) at a price i couldn't refuse .Any ideas on which settings i should try first .Any input greatly appreciated

Are you sure it is a HTC and not a HI-4TC? I thought I had manuals for all their models but don't see a HTC listed.

I always start out on stock or mild engine settings and go up one setting at a time untill perforamce drops off, usually the stock or mild setting works the best, unless you have a really built engine.
I like the 44mm CV and while it's not really bolt on horse power it will complement your other engine mods, your carb is 11 years old, the 44mm would make a good replacement and it's the best performance carb out there for a every day rider.

Hoople, you are indeed correct it is a hi-4tc.I was having a brain cramp when i posted .Any input on pros or cons of one of these

No, it is an 8-3160 says it fits 99-01 twincam and it does have the same two plugs as my stock module

Up to this point has the bike been running free of any detonation using the stock ignition. Also starting the bike has not been a problem and you have not had issues with cranking kick-back.
Have you taken a compression reading of both cylinders since the build.

The thing about this Crane unit is unless you take the time to define and re-program the advance curve in the EEPROM, you will have to accept one of the pre-defined advance curves built into the unit. It can be very tricky to select a canned advance curve. The amount of advance is selected by an X-Y point of Map pressure vs RPM. That means using a canned map may be great except in just a few X-Y cells.

Without some fancy equipment it will be hard to know what is perfect. If "close enough" is OK, start will the lowest aggressive advance curve and work up until you hear detonation. There really is not much else you can do because the really correct way to do it gets very very involved.

I would start out with the Mode switch set to single fire (Zero position). If all works (no detonation) then try Multi-spark mode.

Also start out with Initial Timing adjustment set to Zero.

I realize this does not answer your original question with a straight forward answer. The problem is, this unit was designed for the user to create his own advance curve using very specialized pieces of equipment. It is plug and play to a point. Creating or selecting an advance curves can be tricky because both cylinders are not actually the same. You really need to look at the V-Twin engine as 2 separate engines. The front engine and the rear engine. Because of small cylinder differences (psi compression, heat, A/F ratio, VE flow), one cylinder will always detonate before the other. Therefore you must select an advance curve for that "early detonation" cylinder first and then let the chips fall for the other cylinder because you can not curve each cylinder independently. (but there is a rear cylinder offset pot for this on the 8-3160)

There are some things about this Crane unit I do not agree with. They seem to imply it is single fire and they also say it does not use a CMP sensor. They sync timing off of compression resistance which is spooky to say the least.

Up to this point has the bike been running free of any detonation using the stock ignition. Also starting the bike has not been a problem and you have not had issues with cranking kick-back.
Have you taken a compression reading of both cylinders since the build.

The thing about this Crane unit is unless you take the time to define and re-program the advance curve in the EEPROM, you will have to accept one of the pre-defined advance curves built into the unit. It can be very tricky to select a canned advance curve. The amount of advance is selected by an X-Y point of Map pressure vs RPM. That means using a canned map may be great except in just a few X-Y cells.

Without some fancy equipment it will be hard to know what is perfect. If "close enough" is OK, start will the lowest aggressive advance curve and work up until you hear detonation. There really is not much else you can do because the really correct way to do it gets very very involved.

I would start out with the Mode switch set to single fire (Zero position). If all works (no detonation) then try Multi-spark mode.

Also start out with Initial Timing adjustment set to Zero.

I realize this does not answer your original question with a straight forward answer. The problem is, this unit was designed for the user to create his own advance curve using very specialized pieces of equipment. It is plug and play to a point. Creating or selecting an advance curves can be tricky because both cylinders are not actually the same. You really need to look at the V-Twin engine as 2 separate engines. The front engine and the rear engine. Because of small cylinder differences (psi compression, heat, A/F ratio, VE flow), one cylinder will always detonate before the other. Therefore you must select an advance curve for that "early detonation" cylinder first and then let the chips fall for the other cylinder because you can not curve each cylinder independently. (but there is a rear cylinder offset pot for this on the 8-3160)

There are some things about this Crane unit I do not agree with. They seem to imply it is single fire and they also say it does not use a CMP sensor. They sync timing off of compression resistance which is spooky to say the least.

how can it sync timing off of compression resistance?That sounds spooky .The bike runs good ,but it does kickback sometimes on start up .Haven't checked the compression yet. it's been so (Edit) cold here until yesterday I've got less than 100 miles on it since top end job .Now that you've asked though it has me curious.i'll check it over the weekend

BTW the ignition did come with the data link cable

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back