free website stats program Cracked Rear Wheel Anyone? | Harley Davidson Forums

Cracked Rear Wheel Anyone?

BaZa

I have and so have many others so I am trying to do a survey with a few questions:

Mods please move to wherever you think for the best response.

I am trying to gather as much information as possible to further the wheel rusting issue so even if you have not suffered a cracked rim would you please copy and paste the questions and put your answers at the end of each question?

Like I have done below in the quote box......Thanks in anticipation.

I am working with a mayor Bike magazine editor here.

HERE is a thread on this very site re wheels cracking!

-------------------------------ooOoo----------------------------------
copy and paste

Model.......

Manufactured age of bike?........

Mileage?........

Any previous owners?........

What sort of inspection made: internal / external and visual / audible?........

Original wheels?........

Average mileage/time span, between tyre change?........

What tyres used?........

Who changes your tyres?........

Are tubes reused when changing tyres?........

Is the rim tape renewed when changing tyres?

Has any visual inspection of inside of wheels done when changing tyres?........

Plus result of the inspection........

-------------------------------ooOoo----------------------------------

Model...... Road King Standard

Manufactured age of bike?........ 2002 but registered 2003.

Mileage?........ 60,000

Any previous owners?........ Owned from new

What sort of inspection made: internal / external and visual / audible?........
Internal when tyres changed, external when cleaned.

Original wheels?........ Yes

Average mileage/time span, between tyre change?........ 7,000 - 10,000, 1 year.

What tyres used?........ Dunlop, Continental, Metzler, now Avon Venoms

Who changes your tyres?........ Independent while I am there and have always been inspected.

Are tubes reused when changing tyres?........ No

Is the rim tape renewed when changing tyres?........ No

Has any visual inspection of inside of wheels done when changing tyres?.......

Plus result of the inspection........ All seemed ok after a wire brush clean.
This all started after my rear wheel cracked and I found it was a common fault.

This all started because of >>> these wheels splitting. <<<

This is the letter I got back from H-D Europe.

So I'm still waiting to hear from their tech dept.

I don't get this bit: 'Please except this as notice that your case with Harley-Davidson is now closed.'

What does that mean?

10079d1253010682-letter-h-d-re-wheel-rusted-h-d-wheel-letter.jpg

Not impressed! BaZa over the pond U.K.

Last edited by a moderator:
BaZa, were these cast or spoke wheels? Please keep us posted of any further correspondence from Harley. Thanks HDDon

My bike is sorted :D .........but the issue is still there:

Old laced wheel to Fatboy wheel off ebay:

PICT0484.jpg

Needed drilling out to 1inch as a Fatboy axle is 3/4 inch:

DSCN1362.jpg

New bearings:

PICT0500.jpg

Job done:

PICT0503.jpg

PICT0506.jpg

PoliceseatColour.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done BaZa...! I know this is a silly question, but what were the circumstances leading up to the failure...loss of air...loud pop? Did it look like metal fatigue or rust, water intrusion from the inside out or outside in?

Last edited:
Well done BaZa...! I know this is a silly question, but what were the circumstances leading up to the failure...loss of air...loud pop? Did it look like metal fatigue or rust, water intrusion from the inside out or outside in?

Over the course of 8-12 months water seeping into the rim from the spokes and not having taken the tyre off for that time (it was due a new one).

I only take the saddlebags off when I do a mayor clean (when the whitewalls are dirty).

I check the tyre pressures each week and move the bike until the valve is at the bottom so as to leave the side bag on.

On this occasion I had already moved it for the front wheel tyre check and could not be bothered to move it again having to deactivate the alarm so I just unclipped the saddle bag and did the air into the valve. It was then I saw the crack as I could then see the whole wheel.

Previous to that there was onmly a small amount of surface rust and it was obviously eating away from inside!

I had just ridden back from a bike show down the highway at 70-80 mph and you can imagine how I felt as to what could have happened.
icon13.gif

I know it's my own fault but there are many others out there that need to know about this and check their bikes.

If you look at my bike it's a recent picture with the Fatbiy wheel on the rear now and sits there at 60,000 miles at 6 1/2 years old so I do look after it.

Honestly, never thought so much damage from just a little water intrusion from the spoke side. In the back of my mind I seem to have heard stories of this thing happening to old Triumphs & MG (cars). What they did was use "fake" spokes and then put in a layer of epoxy over the nipple/drop center area and started using tubeless tires. Never even occurred to me that the problem could be so severe and on a motorcycle rim too...probably a good heads up for the classic spoke wheel crowd to inspect your rims carefully when you change tube/tires.

Back