Cracked fender?

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by zman1968, Oct 9, 2011.

1. zman1968

zman1968 Member

I just started to get a rattle from the back of my bike. When I looked at the rear of my bike I noticed a crack about 7 inches long, it reaches to the middle brake light on my 2010 Street Bob. I never dropped my bike and no accidents. Will my waranty cover this?

sent from the boondocks

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

I would say it should cover it providing there is no scuffs or marks showing on the fender. It would depend a lot on the type of dealer you have.

3. Rubyred

Rubyred Senior Member

It had better, and oh yea, I would insist on the warranty covering it!

4. blueglide

blueglide Member

Any chance that you could post a picture of the damage please?,warranty should replace it I would reckon.

5. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Stress crack probably from faulty steel in sheet & riding broke it loose. Should be good w/warranty coverage & Steve07 has some good advice w/the process & steps. Good luck & let us know how things work out.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Agree here when my Bob got hit it took 16 weeks for the sheet metal, The Fender you have should be covered under your 2 year unlimited mile warranty:s

7. zman1968

zman1968 Member

Well, I took my bike to the dealer and a service tech said he has seen 3 street bobs with the same crack. They took pictures and started the warranty process. Hopefully everything will pan out.........I'll keep everyone posted also I will get pictures up. Thanx

sent from the boondocks

8. sgmfisher

sgmfisher Member

If warranty doesn't cover it and it is by a bolt hole, I remember drilling them out bigger and inserting a large wiring gromet in the hole and then thightening them down with washers on each side of the gromet. Just and old way. In the wind.

Pops

9. zman1968

zman1968 Member

UPDATE.........Dealer was really cool about the crack. They said this is the 3rd cracked fender that they've seen this year. My fender is in and will be replaced on tuesday.:)

sent from the boondocks

10. HemiOrange

HemiOrange Member

That is also how the GA saddlebag instructions tell you to mount their ABS hard bags and provide the grommets and washers for doing so. Just make sure that the inner and outer washers are a different diameter so that there is less likelihood of them punching through.

As for the fenders cracking, this method will at least help if not solve it entirely. On the other hand, the weight of the tail light and or the license plate bracket can and will cause vibration issues that quickly lead to metal fatigue and stress cracks. Relocating or reducing this weight can also help.