free website stats program Cracked fender? | Harley Davidson Forums

Cracked fender?

zman1968

I just started to get a rattle from the back of my bike. When I looked at the rear of my bike I noticed a crack about 7 inches long, it reaches to the middle brake light on my 2010 Street Bob. I never dropped my bike and no accidents. Will my waranty cover this?

sent from the boondocks

I would say it should cover it providing there is no scuffs or marks showing on the fender. It would depend a lot on the type of dealer you have.

Stress crack probably from faulty steel in sheet & riding broke it loose. Should be good w/warranty coverage & Steve07 has some good advice w/the process & steps. Good luck & let us know how things work out.

Get the dealer to start the warranty claim and order the fender and tell them to call you when it is in.A friend let them take his bike apart with the assurance that it would only be a few days before they got the tins in for his bike,4 months later he got the bike back.

Agree here when my Bob got hit it took 16 weeks for the sheet metal, The Fender you have should be covered under your 2 year unlimited mile warranty:s

Well, I took my bike to the dealer and a service tech said he has seen 3 street bobs with the same crack. They took pictures and started the warranty process. Hopefully everything will pan out.........I'll keep everyone posted also I will get pictures up. Thanx

sent from the boondocks

If warranty doesn't cover it and it is by a bolt hole, I remember drilling them out bigger and inserting a large wiring gromet in the hole and then thightening them down with washers on each side of the gromet. Just and old way. In the wind.

Pops

UPDATE.........Dealer was really cool about the crack. They said this is the 3rd cracked fender that they've seen this year. My fender is in and will be replaced on tuesday.:)

sent from the boondocks

If warranty doesn't cover it and it is by a bolt hole, I remember drilling them out bigger and inserting a large wiring gromet in the hole and then thightening them down with washers on each side of the gromet. Just and old way. In the wind.

Pops

That is also how the GA saddlebag instructions tell you to mount their ABS hard bags and provide the grommets and washers for doing so. Just make sure that the inner and outer washers are a different diameter so that there is less likelihood of them punching through.

As for the fenders cracking, this method will at least help if not solve it entirely. On the other hand, the weight of the tail light and or the license plate bracket can and will cause vibration issues that quickly lead to metal fatigue and stress cracks. Relocating or reducing this weight can also help.

Back