free website stats program Cracked Exhaust Pipe | Harley Davidson Forums

Cracked Exhaust Pipe

franka

I have a crack in my rear header exhaust pipe which in turn is causing back fire on compression. Question is "will I do damage if I continue to ride until it's repaired". Problem is I'm leaving for Sturgis (trailering bike) pipe is custom fabricated and most likely will not have time to replace before the trip.

Exhaust leaks cause extreme lean conditions I would fix it now or do a valve job soon or burn a hole in a piston JMO

Guys are right even if it is a sloppy ugly patch job its better than burning it up

Stop by an auto parts store and get a muffler patch kit. Do anything you can to seal the leak. Tin cans, wire, clamps. A big ugly lump on the pipe is better than a hurt engine.

My bike is in the shop as I type this for the exact same problem that you are talking about. I was going to weld it myself as I am a pretty good welder but, and it's a big BUT, my understanding was the way my Reinhardt pipes were fastened to the engine ( poor design) is what caused the rear head exhaust pipe to crack and eventually it led to a gaping hole when they tried to remove the pipe to put on a new rear tire! So like TQ, I have "bit the bullet" and have let them order the new improved pipe. Unfortunately I am still waiting for it to get to the shop from the shipper! :( Needless to say with all of these nice days we've been having I am bumming without my bike. so think about what has been happening to me before you decide to get it repaired or you may not get it back in time for Sturgis!!! :( :(
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Back